1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capturing Windows Media Player sound output

Discussion in 'Audio' started by DrJBN, May 9, 2011.

1. DrJBN

DrJBN Member

I have my Windows Media Player SRS Wow effects set to get my tunes to sound just how I'd like them to sound. Ultimately, I'd like that same sound on my portable mp3 player.

Does there exist any software that will capture/intercept the output of the media player & write it to disc so that I can save & replay the tune as it is after going through the player's effect processors?

All the best,
    Byron

2. DrJBN

DrJBN Member

Let me ask this- before I go out & buy the necessary cable, is there any reason that I could not output my laptops headphones to my wife's laptop's mic input & accomplish the task?

best,
    Byron

3. Mez

Mez Active member

Use an audio capture app that captures directly from the sound card. Some do most do not.

4. DrJBN

DrJBN Member

Thanks for that- "capture" was the word I was missing for a meaningful google on the subject. My system doesn't report the card as something from which recording can take place (e.g., as it would need to for Audacity to work), but I did find SoundTap from NCH software which works perfectly.

Best,
    Byron

5. Mez

Mez Active member

The capture apps that use a temp file the sound card uses to "talk" to itsself can capture anything played through your sound card. The different inputs create a temp file which is played by the play unit. This makes sound cards more modular in an era where new and very different imputs are being invented. The chip to process the new input just needs to convert the input into that universal audio format. This provides a powerful opportunity for a capture application.

I think you will find more uses for it. I find it a must have for a well rounded bag of tricks for audio processing.