1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capturing without a capture card

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by slyree, Mar 28, 2003.

1. slyree

slyree Guest

Is it possible to capture a full length (60 minute) digital video tape with out a capture card?

Thanks.....Simon

2. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

If the video IS digital and was recorded with one of the newer camcorders, then you could transfer the video from firewire, but if not, then you will need a video capture card.

3. slyree

slyree Guest

I am using a new Panasonic NV-DS50 digital. I tried transferring to my HDD via the USB (very slow), but the software supplied by Panasonic only allows transfer in 30sec chunks.

4. whompus

whompus Active member

slyree
    I think the software that came with that camcorder is for making short clips of what is on the camera into mpeg4 for e-mailing to others. You will be better off using the dv in/out ieee1394 on the camera and firewire on comp if you got firewire.

Good Luck

5. slyree

slyree Guest

Whompus,

That would make sense (the software is for emailing short clips). I guess a firewire starter kit will be cheaper than a capture card. I was kind hoping that there was an application allowing me to transfer as much as I like via USB.

Thanks for the advice!!!