1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car CD burning

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by OXO, Jan 17, 2005.

1. OXO

OXO Member

Hi Everyone.

My Problem is, that when I burn CDs, they play OK on my computer, and also on my home CD player, but not correctly on my car CD player.
    Sometimes they will play, but only all the way through, in other words, you can not change tracks, or, on stopping the CD, you have to go to the start, and play the first track, and so on, also an error message comes up saying error, or the CD ejects.

My computer runs on XP, I use Nero 5.5, and have tried the entire different configurations that I can find on the program, I have also tried Windows media player, but with the same results, I also used various brands of blank CDs, and burnt at different re-write speeds, but again with the same result.

The car CD player in question is a Mercedes Benz Audio 10 cd.

I have been told that if I burn in PAL format, that it will play OK on car CD players. I have looked in the help files on Nero, but cannot find any reference to PAL.

The question is, is there any person out there that can help me with this problem, in why they wont play on my car CD player, or perhaps recommending a software program that will burn CDs that play on my car CD player.

The only other things I must mention, it’s not an MP3 player, and I am no way conversant with any technical jargon that most of you use on the forum.

Fingers crossed.

OXO.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

PAL is a video framerate/resolution format that has nothing to do with an audio CD so I wouldn't take any more advice from whoever said that.

The fact that the discs play normally in everything else but your car stereo would lead me to point my finger at the car stereo since, as a whole, they can be a very temperamental lot. I'm not sure what to tell you at this point. You can try using different burning software but I'm not sure if that will make a difference.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  3. heybilly

heybilly Regular member

Alot of stock car head units are very picky when it comes to burnt media they usually need an audio cd with 2-3 seconds of silence between tracks and i think before the first track... most burned cds dont put that type of gap in there so what u may need to try is go and purchase Music CDRs... they have that silence already injected. Try that out see wut happens... oh and if u want u can also just try to burn the cdr ur using now at the slowest speed for better compatibility.

4. mlabbe

mlabbe Member

I had a similar problem. I solved it by buying music cd-r's (Maxell) and burning at at slower speed (4x). After that, all of my burned cd's played in every player that I own - portable, car, home stereo, and computer.

5. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

-As mlabbe stated burning at a slower speed might help. As far as other software I use the CD burning software in Winamp Pro (Sonic) to burn all my audio cds.

I hope this helps.

6. OXO

OXO Member

Hello, Nephilim, Heybilly, Mlabbe and Redant.

Firstly may I thank you all for taking the time to reply to my cry for help with this problem.

Nephilim, I have obviously been on a wild goose chase in trying to track down the PAL format to burn my CDs, not knowing its for video use, and yes I have found it very temperamental, but I am hoping that in some way I will be able to concur the problem.

And Heybilly, I did not know that there were any differences in CDRs, I thought that they were all the same, not realising that there are those pacifically designed for burning music, so I shall be out there sourcing these music CDs, and as you advised, burning at a much slower speed.

Mlabbe, I’m pleased its not only me that’s had this problem, because I did wonder, and thanks for the tip regarding the Maxell CDRs, so there’s also a brand to look out for.

And also Redant, I shall obviously look into your recommendation regarding the CD burning software that you use, Winamp Pro.

Many, many, thanks again for all your help, and if I manage to overcome this problem, I shall obviously let you all know by posting.

Best Regards.

7. Digidave

Digidave Regular member

I also had this same problem & the only thing that worked for me was a new cd burner. It was really frustrating, knowing that when I burned a cd for anybody else they worked perfectly fine but when I burned one for myself it would work one time & then not the next!! Good Luck on your venture into the "guessing game" of audio CD's (LOL)

8. OXO

OXO Member

Good morning Digidave.

Thanks for the information, but in my case I believe that’s not the problem, because I have recently had a new computer, and the same thing was happening on the old system, which makes it very frustrating, but after reading the other posts that I have received, I now have something to go on.

Best Regards. OXO.