1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car CD Player--Cannot Play Burned CD's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by kooolchk, Apr 4, 2005.

1. kooolchk

kooolchk Member

My car stereo will play only a couple of trax off any CD's I burned. My friend and I figured maybe it was becuz of the format (mp3, wav, wma). I downloaded Media Wizard and tried to convert to all one format like wav. It filled up the CD, it shows up on my system and plays thru the CDr/rw drive, but I tried it in my daughter's stereo and nothing played. In fact it only showed 1 track, when there are about 14. The car is even worse. What can I do? Is there a particular format to convert to for auto stereos. I have a JVC. Plz advise. I love the music I have and am dying to hear it in the car.

Thank you.

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Just one question. Are you making Data-CDs or Audio-CDs when you burn your discs? Make [bold]Audio-CDs[/bold]. You and your friend are right and wrong. The reason is that regular CD players can only play raw audio samples. WAV is still fotmatted and won't be recognized.

Anyway, what type of software are you using to burn your discs? Like I said above, create audio or music discs not Mp3 or WAV (data) discs.

Learn about CDs:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD

Ced

3. kooolchk

kooolchk Member

Thanks for the link. Lotz of info there. I am still confused though. I think we were burning in Nero under mixed format. I can't remember if we tried audio only, but I will. I downloaded Media Wizard, which converts all files to the same format. Is there a particular one? You say no MP3 or Wav. So, what is left?
    Thanks.

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

No no no, don't download anymore convertors and stop converting between file formats. Nero can handle a veriety of audio formats (including but not limited too: Mp3 and WAV).

Its been a while since I used Nero but I know that there should be an option to burn an audio only disc. Do you understand that the CD will be based on time, not Mega Bytes (MB), when you create an audio CD! Nero will let you know.

1) Create an audio only CD

2) Select up to 80 [bold]minutes[/bold] of your Mp3 or Wav files

3) Burn and finalize the disc

Ced

5. kooolchk

kooolchk Member

Ok, I will try it ur way. I will let u know what the outcome is in a few. Thx.

6. kooolchk

kooolchk Member

Problems....Followed ur instructions to a T. Put the mp3's on the playlist with click and drag, then burned as audio. Only 3 songs recorded out of 17 listed. I am so confused. I can't believe I have a college degree and can't figure out how to burn a cd properly. I know idiots who can do it. What's up with that? Any sites that actually show someone doing it step-by-step? I am very visual. :& (and frustrated).

7. john1888

john1888 Guest

USING NERO CLICK THE CD TAB AT THE TOP RIGHT HAND CORNER OF THE WINDOW
    MOVE TO THE LEFT OF THE WINDOW HOVER OVER THE FAVORITES SIGN
    SECOND ICON DOWN MAKE AUDIO CD CLICK ON IT
    NEW WINDOW APPEARS CLICK ADD FILES AT TOP RIGHT OF WINDOW
    NEW WINDOW APPEARS HIGHLIGHT CD U WISH TO BURN
    CLICK ADD ON BOTTOM OF WINDOW
    FILES WILL BE ADDED AND CONVERTED TO CD AUDIO
    CLICK FINISH AND CLOSE THAT WINDOW
    IN WINDOW WHERE FILES WERE ADDED
    CLICK NEXT, NEW WINDOW APPEARS CLICK BURN AND THATS IT
    WAIT FOR YOUR CD. OR TRY ASKING SOME OF THOSE STUPID PEOPLE U KNOW TO SHOW U HOW TO DO IT

8. kooolchk

kooolchk Member

John1888--thx 4 the advice. i will try again. & so u know, the "stupid people" I am talking about are some of my teens punk acquaintances with whom I have no contact or I would've already called them to show me.

9. Vapour71

Vapour71 Member

I have a question sort of along the same lines as this question. Is it possible to burn music files converted to .WAV from MP3's on a DVD disc and play them in my vehicle's CD Player? Will they play or will they do what the creator of this thread had happen?

Thanks in advance :)

10. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Just let your CD Burrning software do everything. I don't know how many ways this can be said but Audio CDs don't contain WAV files! They contain (RAW, 2-CH, 16-bit, 44.1 KHz) PCM audio tracks. So when you burn an Audio-CD (a CD capable of being played on any stereo system) the burning software converts whatever audio format your using as a source to PCM then burns the PCM files to the CD.

The reason WAV files have identical properties in most cases is because the WAV file was generated using a PCM based technique. WAV files can hold any type of (Lossy, Lossless, RAW/Non-formatted, or Uncompressed) data because it is an audio container not an audio codec.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2005
  11. Vapour71

Vapour71 Member

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you have said, but what I am wanting to know is IF you can burn the audio files that have been converted to .WAV format from MP3 to a DVD disc. We are going on a long trip and rather than having several CD's with the music on it, we want to know if the audio can be burned onto a single DVD Disc so that we can put all music onto one Disc and play it in the CD Player in the vehicle?

12. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Well thats just another issue altogether. CD players can't read DVDs at all (Although most DVD playes can read/play CDs and CD-Rs).

13. Vapour71

Vapour71 Member

Ok. Well it looks like I am gunna have to burn a lot of regular CD's to get all the music we want for the long road trip. :( Too bad there wasn't some genius out there that could develop a way for a regular CD Player to read/play .WAV files from a DVD Disc and play them like a normal CD Player. We could store a lot more music on a DVD Disc if vehicle CD Players were able to such a thing. We could add hours of music to a single disk and not have to worry about changing CD's every 80 minutes or 700 megs. :) That would also eliminate the need for bulky CD Changers as well. ;)

14. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I would recommed buying an inexpensive Portable-DVD player (that supports Mp3s and CD-R/RWs) and a digital FM-Transmitter. That way you could listen to hours of music form a CD in Mp3 format while it plays through your cars audio system (via the radio). You do know how to make a Mp3-CDs right (A typical CD can hold about 100 Mp3, depending on the bit-rate/size of the Mp3 files)? Or, you could also put the Mp3s on the DVD-R and get your entire CD collection on one disc!

Ced

15. Vapour71

Vapour71 Member

Ok but the CD Player has to be able to play MP3's correct? To my knowledge, the factory CD Player that is in our 2002 Truck doesn't.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  16. diabolos

diabolos Guest

What, it has nothing to do with your CD player if you use a portable DVD player (that can play Mp3s) and your using a [bold]FM/Radio transmitter[/bold]. All you need in your truck is a radio. The potrable DVD player does the rest and the FM transmitter sends the audio info to the trucks radio anntena.

Do you understand what I'm saying?
    Ced

17. Vapour71

Vapour71 Member

Oh ya. I know what you are saying. I was just explaining what I was wanting to do and put a suggestion about some genius to be able to create something that would allow me to do what I was originally asking :) Just wishfull thinking I guess ;)

18. diabolos

diabolos Guest

19. Vapour71

Vapour71 Member

Cool! Thanks for the link bro :)

20. flyern767

flyern767 Member

I have a similar porblem as the original dude, but different. I use nero, and yes I burned the disc as a Audio only disc, let nero do all the work. The Factory cd player in my dodge truck will play the cd's after a lag, I can hear the player searching for the start of the first track (none of this lag ever happens with bought cd's in the truck). Also if you try to skip around for another track, its seem like the laser gets "lost" and sits nad searches. I've used disc-at-once burning, and track-at-once. the latter yields better results, but still gets lost when jump from track 1 to say 5. Any suggestions?