1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

car mp3 player misses songs

Discussion in 'Audio' started by squizzle, Apr 18, 2005.

1. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I have an Alpine CDA-7995 MP3 player in my car, and the problem I am having is that it completely skips over songs sometimes. Just a few minutes ago it went from track 4 to track 7, and called track 7 track 5. (I usually put whole CD's onto MP3 discs.) Now, I know the songs are there, because I can put the disc into my computer and play them just fine. I compared the properties of songs it would play and songs it wouldn't and I see no real difference.

This seems to be completely at random, I've checked over all the settings in the burning software and my Alpine, nothing that would have to do with this. I emailed Alpine, they seem to not be able to help me (gotta love tech support!). Anyone else experience this problem and found a solution?

specs:
    Alpine CDA-7995 MP3 in-dash player
    Sonic RecordNow DX to burn
    Windows Media Player 10 to rip music as MP3 192kb/s
    Fujifilm CD-R 700MB

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

Hey squizzle, I have the Alpine CDA-9813 mp3 CD player, and I've never encountered this problem. (Your problem aside, does Alpine make the most kick ass receivers ever? I used to be a huge Kenwood Excelon fan, but in my opinion Alpine is by far the best.) The first thing I would look at is how the files are named. Does alpine specify anything? My mp3 albums are either Artist - 01 - Track Name or 01 - Artist - Track Name. I'm not sure if it orgainizes the album by filename, or by tag info. Perhaps WMP incorrectly tagged the files?

Thats quite a strange problem man, and on a side note, if you want to get better sounding mp3s, you might want to try EAC. Just a suggestion. We have a guide here on how to set it up. Its hands down the best ripper, and using LAME as an encoder it provides very good results.

3. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Definitely! I am a huge Alpine fan, this is my 3rd head unit from them. I like to consider myself an audiophile. I dumped probably about $4000 on my car stereo. I'd like to get the home audio system up to par like that, but if I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it right. Probably go through about $5-6000 on that. I WANT BOSE!!!! Got a pretty nice setup on the PC.

My MP3's are Artist/Album/01Track title as far as directories on the PC. I don't think WMP tagged the files wrong, as they are on the disc in correct order, just that the car MP3 player won't see it. This isn't the first time it happened, but I thought I finally had this problem beat. I guess not...Anyway, the tags are displayed as Track title/Artist/Album, which is what I like. RecordNow makes me burn them as data files if I want the files to be in different folders. I suspect this might be the issue.

I did use Roxio Easy CD Creator for a while, which seemed to do a good job. I'm going to try Nero Express, see what that does for me. I'm just a little leery about installing Roxio on my PC.

I'll definitely check out EAC. I'm pretty satisfied with WMP for ripping @ 192kb/s. I'm not going to rerip all my music though, it's about 25 GB, and it took a while as you could imagine (about 4000 songs total).

Thanks for the reply.

4. Digidave

Digidave Regular member

I don't have a solution to your problem, but I just wanted to let you know that Roxio & Nero don't get along with each other on the same computer. So if you have Nero on your computer & want to get rid of it to put Roxio on, then you should use the Nero cleaning tools. This will rid your computer completely of all traces of Nero. If you already know this,well then...Never Mind!

5. deepfried

deepfried Member

i have an mp3 cd player (not car) but it works on the same principal i guess. to make an mp3 cd all you need to do is burn a data disc, either in one list of songs, or in seperate folders as dirs should be recognised as albums by the unit. The BIG problem that ive had is with trying to play VARIABLE BIT RATE mp3s (most players will expect a cbr i think), so any mp3 that i download i always convert to a constant bit rate file.

VBR seems to be the trend right now, and if someone would like to point out some of its advantages i'd be greatful. i see this problem as one of a few disadvantages, and see the whole vbr thing as a bit uneccessary...your thoughts?

EDIT - ok i just read your ripping specs and this may or may not be your problem, but its still a valid point you should look into. i know however that media player is far from the best for cd ripping so you should maybe try something else.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

most new mp3 players do accept VBR mp3s, as they are become more popular now due to their superior quality.

Yeah as digidave mentioned I have heard about complict issues with those burning programs, but all I know from first hand experience is that I've always used Nero Burning Rom and never had a problem.

I too have dumped oodles of money into my stereo(s). My car has the alpine head unit, alpine 5 X 7 door speakers, one 4 X 60 watt sony amp and 1 1 X 1000 watt sony amp which runs two 12" infinities. I have used kenwood, pioneer, and rockford in the past, but I am very satisfied with my current setup. yours? and luck with your problem yet?

7. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Well, I've been doing some research, and it looks as if I'm the only person in the world with this problem(?) Doesn't surprise me. I'm going to try to use Nero to burn the MP3, I'm going to use the same files that are giving me this problem now. If it works, well I guess then the problem lies in the RecordNow software (which by the way only verifies good half the time with DVDs).

Here's my setup:
    Alpine CDA-7995 head unit (no internal amp, 4V pre-outs, built in EQ, MP3 player)
    (3) 12" Rockford Fosgate Punch DVCs (4 ohm/coil, 800W peak)
    Phoenix Gold ZX500v.2 amp for subs (1 ohm stable, 300Wx2 rms@4 ohms, currently running at 1.5 ohm load)
    Memphis Belle interior speakers, 4x6 in front doors, 5x7 in rear deck
    Phoenix Gold XS4300 amp for interior speakers (75Wx4)
    Phoenix Gold Ti series 15 farad capacitor
    Phoenix Gold 215x EQ (15-band active EQ w/ x-over)
    Phoenix Gold line driver (boosts input signal to amps)
    180 amp rms alternator

All that in a little Cavalier. Tomorrow I'll take pics and post them.

8. djscoop

djscoop Active member

wow 3 12s in a cavalier! lol I'm lucky...I have tons of room in my explorer. I used to have a mess of Phoenix Gold stuff. Cables, a nice 1 farad cap, termincals, everything. But it all got ripped off a couple years ago. I didn't know they made amps...how is the quality?

9. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Most people who have used them love them. I do too (as you can tell). At one point I had their ZPA0.5 amp, which was 1/2 ohm stable and 1000W rms, but that was just too much insanity. It was also discontinued at that point and it used cards for crossover instead of a switch or buttons, and the only cards I could find were like $80-150 ea. I just said screw it, sold the amp and put the ZX500 back in.

Getting shit stolen from you like that sucks. I've been lucky so far (knock on wood). I think whoever steals it would have a helluva time trying to get it out. I barely have enough room for jumper cables in my trunk. If I get a flat tire, I gotta call a tow truck.

10. squizzle

squizzle Active member

OK, using Nero Infotools I just found out that my system ASPI layer was corrupted, but is now fixed. You guys think that may have been part of the problem? Probably not, but I bet it might have something to do with why half the movies I burn verify bad no matter what program I use to burn.

11. squizzle

squizzle Active member

OK, here's pics of my system:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  12. Digidave

Digidave Regular member

Holy S**t!!! Dude, back in the day,I had a Pioneer(I believe it was) that put out maybe 60 watts per channel. A couple of 6x9 Co-axial speakers in the rear & Maybe a couple of 6 inch speakers in the doors. This was plenty to open the doors & trunk go play frizbee. You could get 100 yards away & still hear it pretty well. How far away can you get with that thing? AAAh!,Technology, Ain't it great!!!

Also, It reminds me of my Frivolous(money wasting) youth (LOL). Just Kidding

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  13. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

buh...buuh buhh...baaauuuhhhhss......baaasssss......*drools*

14. djscoop

djscoop Active member

sweet! how do you like your rockfords? I had 2 12" HE2s, but they sounded muddy in my opinion. my infinities sound MUCH cleaner. I will have to wait to post pics of my system, as my digital camera was dropped a few weeks ago by a drunken idiot (me)

15. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Yeah, I didn't really care for the HE2 or the HX2. This was the generation before. I love these, they've been in my trunk for about 5 years or so.
    I honestly don't know. Every time I tried with the windows down and doors and trunk open I got yelled at either by people who lived close by or cops. But I have friends that say that they can hear me coming about a quarter mile away.

16. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Well, I finally got around to trying Nero, and it worked fine! So I could either call it a fluke (or a couple of flukes) or ditch Sonic, and I think I'm going to ditch Sonic, Nero's way better.

17. Digidave

Digidave Regular member

What was the original question again?(LOL)

18. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah, smart move. I've used nero for years and never had any problems. There's reason people call it the best I guess. Glad you god the problem figured out, and that it wasn't your head unit!

19. squizzle

squizzle Active member

thanks 'scoop. I'm glad it wasn't the head unit too, although if it was I don't think I'd get rid of it. I'd just stick with CDs. I love my Alpine too much to get rid of it.

So are you a dj? Do you make your own beats? I could use some cool new music to bump in tha ride, ya know?

20. djscoop

djscoop Active member

naw, I actually haven't DJ'd in almost 3 years now. I used to DJ weddings, off of my computer. It was a pretty sweet setup, I had well over $5000 invested in it. Weddings were the best gigs ever to DJ, because it was always the same music, everybody was always happy, money was great, and best of all...open bar! Now I teach audio production at a college in LA, but I might leave soon to go do sound recording for films, I've gotten a few offers. We'll see where that leads to...