1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

card sharing via satalite dish (ireland)

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by spinners, Mar 15, 2010.

1. spinners

spinners Member

hi im in waterford and just hoping somebody can help me with a few questions about card sharing. Im a total novice on the subject so please bare with me if the qusetions seem a bit silly.

(1) A guy living in my area recently knocked on my door saying he noticed i had a satalite dish up and explained to me about card sharing via a satalite dish, he asked if i had an internet connection (which i do), he then told me he could install a box from the dish through my internet connection and therefore i could receive all the sky channels for a subscription of 30euro per month per box he installs and that he would collect the money at the end of every month. The name of the box is technomate tm 500 and he charges an extra 120euro for the box. My query is about the monthly subscription and was wondering if i gave myself the challenge of setting it up myself could i do it any cheaper? ps. the dish i have is a sky dish but i have changed over to ntl to get the deal of phone,broadband and tv alltogether.

(2) also would the the new starview 6 or starview hd combo be a better and easier option to set up via my internet and cable?

2. london01

london01 Member

You are not going to get any guidance on this forum about that subject, apart from "google it".

3. rooney123

rooney123 Regular member

You will get cheaper cs on sat..they start at 15 a month..there is a tread that will give you a idea how to set up

4. dublinda

dublinda Member

Wrong Forum mate google is your friend

5. billy15

billy15 Member

buy a dreambox 500 clone about 60to70 euro best way to start cheap and cheerful cs is about 140 a year pm me for more info

6. NightsJOD

NightsJOD Member

I would strongly suggest you tell this guy to do one. Sat card sharing should only be done between a close knit group of trusted friends/family.

7. piopat

piopat Active member

have a look at the thread called( shy channels on sat with dreambox 500s)you will find it in the list of updated threads or via the afterdawn search banner above top center of your screen ,type in the thread name and click on go. or the thread (starview6 future proof) which you can find in the same way .i would agree with nightsjod, you should not trust this guy with your money (after all you dont know him and he could dissapear and leave you in the lurch)€360 a year is a liitle under half what you would pay sky or ntl/chorus but you could do it cheaper if you use your head (and thats not including the €120 for the box ).get 5 family members or trusted friends along with your self and buy a dm500s each about €65-€70 each and each of the six of you box in around €150 each for a sky card ,thats about €220 each which when you get set up would give you all basic channels,all the movies and all sky sports ,you might even also get espn for that ,and thats for a years viewing. ok you would to set the boxes up and this is not a walk in the park but its not that hard either . look at the threads i mentioned above and if you have any questions about satelllite cardsharing ask them on the thread shy channels on sat with dreambox dm500s (that way we keep all the info in one place so its easier to find )also this site is not a cardsharing site ,and the mods have been kind enough to allow us a few threads to discuss this topic which is why i feel its best to try stick to the allowed threads only for this topic.

8. spinners

spinners Member

cheers lads, all ur info is fully appriciated!

9. piopat

piopat Active member

spinner you know where we are if you need us mate.

10. spinners

spinners Member

cheers piopat, thanks a mill!

11. dublinda

dublinda Member

I think the real point your trying to make is if you buy a receiver will you get sly free

12. piopat

piopat Active member

no its not free you either pay someone for a share or you own your card and you share that with others ,its not free just a way to lower the cost .unless someone is good enough to give you a free share such as a mate or family member.

13. cragf

cragf Member

so if my mate across the road has full subscrpition to sky and he will share his card what then do i need to do ??

14. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

i would point out that in this case your mate would need to use a different box to his sly box. on top of this he would lose series linking, proper tv guide, recording ability, potentially HD ability and much more. He would need to be a very good friend

15. piopat

piopat Active member

as fintann says crag your mate would lose certain benifits that his sky box offers ,he would need atleast to change his box to a dm500s and insert his sky card i that ,then connect his box to a broadband router (he also will need to put certain software in to his box ) and you would need to buy a box (a dm500s or better ,connect your box to a broadband router and install the same software as your mate) and you would each need to edit a program in your own box to enable a share to take place . its not free but it can be done for lower than sky charge .thats why its called sharing .you need to look at the thread shy channnels on sat with dreambox 500s you can find it under (home) and then under (home theater) digital tv dvb discussion ,or else via the search option .

16. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

unless you are interested in this idea i suggest you don't bother. it takes a lot of time and effort and is not for those who are unwilling to spend a lot of time investigating

17. pudzyryan

pudzyryan Regular member

sorry guys ,,didnt want to start needless thread.. can somebody tell me how to turn off firewall on router.. its for c/s reasons.. any help please.

18. cathaldub

cathaldub Regular member

you need to forward a port to the ip address of the digibox
    Every router is different
    see http://portforward.com/ and put in your router model number

19. piopat

piopat Active member

you will need to set your computer a static ip also ,you will get instructions from portforward .com as cathal said ,its not that hard just take your time and have a good read of their instructions .

20. pudzyryan

pudzyryan Regular member

thanks m8 ,, i will check it out