1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cartoon video quality

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by pickle122, Apr 19, 2005.

1. pickle122

pickle122 Member

yeah I know, I've heard it before and I'll hear it again, there is no way to bring back up the quality of video once its been brought down.

But what about cartoons? The quality is lost, but all it is, is mono-colour between heavy black lines. There must be some program capabale enlarging the video size as well as increase bitrate... All that has to be done is sample colours and fill-in/fix degraded areas with the sampled colour, then sharpen edges of the image to create solid borders. This is not difficult to do...

Has anyone seen a program like this? I have old Duckman episodes that I need to burn to throw a Duckman shindig.... chips beer and Duckman, could there be anything better (you can only watch Family Guy so often!)

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Get virtualdub. Find the "Cartoon" filter, and "MSharpen" filters (they're available for download free).
    Load the video, apply filters until it looks the way you want, then frameserve if encoding to mpeg, or resave as avi.

3. pickle122

pickle122 Member

hmm yeah that helps a bit. I didn't realize it at first but the colours are really distorted when there are major colour transitions (i.e. between a black line and red). I think the filters would help a bit more if I was able to correct those mpeg-y "how did they make yellow from black and red" distortions.

The only way i could fix those filters was by ruining the quality in some other major way (such as major colour bleeding). Any ideas or am I stuck with what I have?

What really kicks me is that these are not small files by any means. 220MB, even if they are mpeg, I shouldn't have those problems especially if its a cartoon. I've seen 45MB for equal length in the same format having better quality.

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Whoever encoded them didn't have a clue what they were doing.
    There are any number of filters for vdub that will clean it up a bit.
    Edge detect, sharpen, colour enhance, HSV adjust...the list goes on.
    You just have to play alot.

5. pickle122

pickle122 Member

thanks, I've already been playing a bit, but I'll keep on trying. I guess I just need to work at the settings a bit more.