1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catastrophic hard drive failure!

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by Schmick, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Schmick

Schmick Member

What a way to spend a hot Sunday afternoon. Still not sure if it is just the hard drive or whether it was a failing hard drive controller, swapping the drive to another computer confirms that the drive looks like it is kinda toast.

Was silly enough to just run e2fsck on the drive itself without taking a snapshot to work off. So probably done more harm than good doing that, should have dd'd an image to work from. Been several months since a backup, but didn't have too much personal stuff on there, so not too broke up about it. So just posting to have a sob, not really wanting to invest much time in trying to recover what little was on there worth caring about. Might try to dd to another drive at some point, getting short reads which I think suggests the drive is physically damaged, so to properly repair the ext3 filesystem need to put on a drive where those sections can at least be repaired to not throw errors.

And the damn thing was only a week from retirement too. Seriously. I've got a pogoplug in the mail that I was going to stick Debian on to make our replacement server. :(

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

typical eh? .. right at the last minute.. I bet my hdd will pack up as soon as I completely power down to move tomorrow.. so it's out with the usb external drive.. and a full incremental backup.. again.

3. Schmick

Schmick Member

Moving? On your way over here or just locally? We may not be in Sydney much longer, had an interview on Friday for another job down south, fingers crossed for second round interview this week...

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

good luck on the 2nd job interview.