1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CCE speed and compression

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by mccoy5, Jun 25, 2004.

1. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Something just occured to me, and I don't know why I didn't think of it before. It may not make any difference, but I do all my encodes with RBFarm, even when I only use 1 PC. I seem to remember that there were some issues at one point with CCE running a little slower than it should when it was called by DVD-RB. I thought this was taken care of several versions back, but it's never been an issue with RBFarm so it may be worth trying out.

If you look at my guide you'll see instructions for using RBFarm. Ignore the parts about networking because they don't matter if you're encoding on a single machine.

2. mccoy5

mccoy5 Member

I tried the new version of rebuilder, and also loaded cce sp 2.50 (an old version i found on my hard drive). The first try I got speeds starting at 1.3 which decreased to .8. When i ran it again I saw speeds of about .9 to .7-.65. I let it run over night copying lord of the rings return of the kings, this took about ten hours for the whole process. It seems to be getting a little quicker. Tonight i will try rbfarm and see how I get on.

3. vurbal

Great! That's definitely an improvement, and much more like what I'd expect from your CPU.

4. jdobbs

jdobbs Regular member

I don't think you'll get any speed improvement using RBFarm on one PC. Even when there was an issue associated with the amount of time DVD-RB was using during the encoding process (fixed several versions ago) -- it was fairly small and was related to the way multithreading was handled.

5. mccoy5

mccoy5 Member

I tried rb farm last night it didn't seem to make any difference, I copied ronin last night using cce & rebuilder that took about 8 hours, the copy was very good. I expect that is about the best I will get until I upgrade my system.

Thanks for all the help guys.

6. vurbal

I'd say you've tried everything that you can, so I'd have to agree with you. At least now you're done tearing your hair out over it. ;)

7. mccoy5

mccoy5 Member

As a suggestion, one of the guys from the doom 9 site said to check my cpu temp. My pc does'nt ever feel too hot,but i down loaded pc alert 4 and noticed it seemed a little hot. I took my cpu fan off and notice a lable still on my cpu so I removed this and gave everything a good clean,and replaced my fan using some cooling paste (which didn't seem to be on there). I now seem to be getting a constant speed of about 1.2 when encoding lord of the rings, and I copied the wizard of oz in 350 min. During encoding my pc temp gets to about 65 degs. I can't beleive all the trouble i had seems to be down to somthing as simple as that? Still at least if anyone now has trouble with speed it could be a good place to start!!

Thanks for all your help guys, keep up the good work.

8. siber

siber Regular member

Somebody left the sticker on the CPU...That means it could not dissipate the heat. You are lucky. This is one good recipe to fry your CPU into oblivion.

9. vurbal

That's great! You should be even happier with your backups now tht they don't take as long. Now you just need a couple more PCs so you can get some really fast encodes ;-)

10. 64026402

64026402 Active member

You were told about the P4 CPU temp concern three days ago. Check the last page.
    You can remove the Heat Sink and the P4 can actually slow down enough to stay running(not recomended). So its not obvious error wise like on any other proc.
    65 degrees is still high for a P4. You might try a better heat sink and fan.The low 40s is average.

_
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Donald[/small]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2004
  11. mccoy5

mccoy5 Member

Sorry 64026402, you did pick up the fact that it might be overheating a few days ago. I had a quick check & didn't notice that it was hotter than usual, so dissmissed it. It wasn't until I loaded pc alert that i noticed it was really hot.

I am going to check out some better cooling.

I am also going to network to my sons computer in the next few weeks, he has a P4 1.7. Just to see if I can get cce to encode even faster