1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD Backup

Discussion in 'Audio' started by NUMBER_4, Jul 13, 2007.

1. NUMBER_4

NUMBER_4 Guest

Which format of audio should I use to backup my CD collection? I'm not using WAV, just to let you know. I'm thinking either WMA - 128 kbps, or MP3 (LAME) - 192 kbps.

What do you guys think?

2. 07anto07

07anto07 Active member

use mp3 it's better than wma

3. piano632

piano632 Regular member

Why not use lossless compression like FLAC or APE, that way you can have a perfect bit-for-bit copy of the original with perhaps 50-60% of the original size that WAV files use? And FLAC and APE files can be played in WinAmp in their compressed state. Keep in mind that MP3, WMA and the like are not bit-for-bit exact copies of the original.

4. NUMBER_4

NUMBER_4 Guest

I am aware that MP3 and WMA are not lossless codecs. I was considering either FLAC or APE. (Is WMA Lossless any good?) Anyway, which one would you suggest I use? FLAC, APE, or WMA Lossless?

5. piano632

piano632 Regular member

It's all a matter of preference. FLAC seems to have more support, but APE has better compression. I don't know about WMA lossless. There are others as well.

6. NUMBER_4

NUMBER_4 Guest

Alright. I'm a little unaware of the setting in FLAC. If I were to encode them in FLAC, which 'compression level' (1-10) would you suggest to significantly compress the file, while maintaining great quality?

7. piano632

piano632 Regular member

All compression levels in FLAC and APE are lossless (quality is the same at all levels). The higher the compression level, the more time it takes to compress/decompress and it uses more CPU power but makes the file size a little smaller. So under most circumstances, it's best to choose a level somewhere in the middle (HIGH for APE, or -5/-6 for FLAC) to get the best trade-off between compression size and compression time.