1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cd burn problems

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by eddiejk1, Jan 19, 2003.

1. eddiejk1

eddiejk1 Member

I have a 4 year old hp system w/win98 and an external cd writer, model 8200. Since day one, it freezes up during data cd burns. Also, during audio burns, if the source cd has tracks that segue into one another, (no spaces), my writer will add a space-very annoying! HP tech support couldn't help-says they never heard of these problems and even sent me 3 different units, all with the same results. I've used different programs, ie Nero, as well as the Roxio Easy Cd creator that came with my unit, all with no effect. Can anyone out there help me with this? Thanks!

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

The CD could freeze due to:
    1) bad media
    2) an anti-virus program that is in conflict with the CD-ROM drivers
    3) other programs (for instance DirectCD) in confluct wit the drive.

About pause between tracks, look at the audio forum. Just for short, remember that

- by default, there is always a 2-second pause between audio tracks (you have to remove it, in Nero is quite easy)
    - if you do not write DAO (Dist-At-Once) or at least SAO (Session-At-Once) the laser stops between tracks causing small clicks
    - generally, to backup live/mixed discs you have to extract a full CD IMAGE (copy-CD in Nero choosing the HD as Virtual Unit) and then burn it fully (Nero File___Burn Image). If you extract single tracks some silence might be added during the extraction (or also during the MP3/WMA - to - WAV conversion if you extract compressed). In this case you'll notice a small pause even if you burn DAO with no gaps between and you better start manually editing the WAV (using EAC Wav Editor).

3. eddiejk1

eddiejk1 Member

Thanks for your suggestions, but unfortunately I've tried all of them, some on the suggestion of the hp techs, and some on my own-nothing had any effect. No matter what program I burn with, it will still separate the tracks that have none on the source cd (and freeze up during a data burn). This has been ongoing for almost 4 years now, and after tech support gave up, I did too. But maybe you have some other ideas?! Thanks again for trying!