1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cd burner not burning...msi 48x16x48x

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by evamarie, Nov 24, 2003.

1. evamarie

evamarie Member

i have been having this problem for a while. my cd burner was working fine, and then, out of nowhere, it just wouldn't burn any more. my burning program recognizes the cd burner, the program says it's burning, and the recording light is flashing on the burner, but when i take the cd out, after finalizing, there is nothing on the cd. and i've even gone as far as to reinstall my burning program AND the drivers for my cd burner.....only thing i got out of that was my cd burning program working faster.
    i don't see what could be the problem because my burner is practically new.
    could someone help me out?
    i've told my dad and brother who are the "computer experts" of the household, and they've yet to do anything......so i want to see if there is something that i can do myself......

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Try uninstalling the drive and rebooting the machine. :)

3. evamarie

evamarie Member

will it notify me or something when it reboots?

4. Praetor

When you reboot, it automatically detects new hardware and attempts to (and in most cases successfully) installs it. Now if you dont see the drives THEN... then you know its a software/driver/OS problem rather than a hardware one (of course it still could be hardware but less likely).

5. evamarie

evamarie Member

oh ok, i know what you're talking about now
    thanks much :)

6. Praetor

No problem -- how's that for fast response? :p

7. evamarie

evamarie Member

hahahahaha
    it's ok, i kinda figured this place was busy or something ;)

8. Praetor

Nah I should be studying... really I should be... ;-)

9. evamarie

evamarie Member

uh oh.....i don't know how i would reinstall the drivers.....i don't know what my dad did with the cd that came with the burner......
    things are NOT working out right... :(

10. Praetor

Windows should automatically reinstall the drivers -- the drive probaly didnt even come with drivers or anything. If it doesnt then odds are the drive is a gonner? (i.e., does it detect the drive an not install drivers or does it not even detect the drive)

11. evamarie

evamarie Member

it detects everything....at least i think it's everything...
    and i did the troubleshooter, and it says there's nothing wrong with my burner. some guy told me something about the db connectors being bad or something. and something about checking the cables and the pins....but, i don't mess with anything on the inside of the tower so, i don't see how it could be those.
    and then someone else told me to just d'load the new roxio and see if that's the problem....everyone seems to think it's my burning program......and i have a very strong feeling it is, only thing is, i already uninstalled roxio and then reinstalled it and my cd burner was still not burning anything.
    not only that, i forgot to mention, my burner only reads burned cds.....if i stick a store bought cd in there, like let's say, a music cd i bought, my burner won't lock on, it just keeps blinking. i stuck my canon creative cd in there, it won't lock on.
    i tried burning again right now, and it still doesn't burn....everything runs ok, it just doesn't do anything to the cds.