1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD Drive will not detect blank discs

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by India51A, Jun 20, 2007.

1. India51A

India51A Guest

Hi all, I am having a problem that it appears other posters have had in that my CD Rom drive will not detect any CD-Rs or CD-RWs.

It is in my F Drive and is a Sony DVD RW DW3QA and previously I had been burning CDs in this drive ok, now it keeps giving me the message saying something like 'Please insert a writable disc into the drive'.

I have done a couple of checks, I have put a CD in that I had previously burnt, it wouldn't play it, I put in a Pouges retail CD, it wouldn't play that either, I put one of my games in the drive, and IT DID work ok with that.

I would be very grateful if you guys could help me solve this problem as my wife is getting very frustrated that I am not able to burn the Dusty Springfield CD that she wants. ;-)

2. onya

onya Guest

I suspect there has been a change in the media you are using. The drive you are using MAY need an up-grade to it's needs.

Use THIS to put the info into. You should be able to see if your drive needs an update or not.

3. India51A

India51A Guest

I'm sorry, I guess I'm a bit stupid, but I don't see any link to my drive, also I have no idea where to put what info into an area of that link?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2007
  4. onya

onya Guest

I sincerely doubt that your stupid, it's more the possibility that I didn't explain what I meant to you in the best possible manner.

Optical drives when they are made will read the "kind and speed" of media that was obviously intended for them to do so. With continuing developements in technology, certain brands and types of media are produced that in simle terms, can be unrecognised by that optical drive. To combat this situation, the makers of such hardware issue "firmware" updates to keep pace with current media.

It is my opinion that your drive may need such an update.
    The link that I provided may not have been that obvious as what to do with it....and for that I appologise.

Please type in the make and model of your optical drive into the field in this LINK , same site just a different page. Check out wether or not your hardware needs an update. If you are unsure of where to find out what firmware you currently have...then look in "devise manager" in windows and check out what firmware you have on the Details tab. See pic.

[​IMG]

Compare the info from the link to what you have to see if there is indeed an update available. Follow the instructions for installation if you decide to do so.

5. India51A

India51A Guest

Thank you for your patience, you are very kind.

Well I did as you suggested and my driver for that drive was well out of date, it was dated as 2001, which is odd as I had this computer built for me by Mesh Computers just over 1 year ago! You would think they would update drivers before delivering it to me wouldn't you?

Anyway, I found the updated driver, installed it with no problems, but I'm afraid it hasn't solved the problem. I put a disc in the drive, opened ITunes, selected a Playlist to burn to disc, pressed 'Burn Disc', and the same thing happened as has happened before. It just ejects the disc and asks for a blank disc to be inserted in the drive, I press the button to the drive again, and then all ITunes does is say 'Checking Media'. This goes on for about a minute then stops, it's the same as was happening before.

I have also tried burning a disc with the Windows XP application as well as Cyberlink Power2Go, an application that was bundled with the computer, all to no avail. What is odd was that I had been previously burning discs fine, then all of a sudden this happens!

6. onya

onya Guest

Excuse the delay in reply. We had a "telco" technician here most part of the afternoon, doing the fault finding thingy. Luckily it's an outside fault, so there is no charge...WOOHOO! Then there are my net hogging teenagers (with friends) that apparently "OWN" everything in sight. Gawd help me!

Back to business...... :)

Just to be certain, can you burn anything at all to CD? Regardless of file type? Yes there is cost involved, but a wasted CD blank (or two) will pay dividends. If you get no joy from this exercise, then perhaps the poor old burner has burned it's last.... :(

I'm not familiar with the term pouges what is this exactly?

Cheers.

PS:

Your just saying that because you don't know me.... ROFL J/K India51A.

7. India51A

India51A Guest

Hi, and thanks once again for your reply.

I tried burning a small backup file to CD, but that didn't work, and I forgot to mention that every time I try that I get a 'This program is not responding' message!

As for The Pouges, they are an Irish Traditional/Rock Band fronted by a guy called Shane McGowan, probably the ugliest front man of any band ever! You either like this stuff, or you don't, he's not the best singer in the world, but the band has a massive following.

8. onya

onya Guest

Thanks for the info on the Pouges. I just happen to like the folk from that end of the pond, and I will check 'em out and that's a promise.. I wonder how the name is pronounced? Knowing the Irish........it won't be easy on the voice box if your an Aussie like me ....LOL

So, hows the burning going? still no CD's and perhaps no DVD's? Anything?

BTW I just checked the "pogues" out at this LINK . Is this them? Darn, it won't let me listen as I'm outside of the USA. Guess I'll try elswhere!

9. India51A

India51A Guest

Yep, that's the right band, pity you can't hear them, I kinda like their music.

As for the burning, nope, can't burn anything, the only thing that does work in that drive is games. It will load and play any of my games but won't burn a single thing!

10. onya

onya Guest

I aint finished yet....LOL

Time to buy a new drive perhaps India51A. This is after all a small cost these days. If you get advice contrary that gets you up and runnin'...keep us/me posted please buddy.

11. India51A

India51A Guest

Well if it is a hardware problem then it won't cost me a penny. When I bought this rig I paid for a 3 year Premium on site warranty that covers home visits, parts and labour and also taking it back to their workshops if required and delivered back to my home at no cost to me.