1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD Drive Won't Open and Light Is Coming on When no Disc is in Drive

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by 1Tizz, Aug 21, 2008.

1. 1Tizz

1Tizz Regular member

Hi there,
    The last few days I have noticed that the light on my CD drive
    comes on every once in awhile and stays on when there is
    NO CD in it and when I try to open the CD drive by pushing
    the button it doesn't open.Can anyone tell me why this is happening
    and what I can do to fix the problem and what is possibly causing this problem?
    Thank You
    Tizz

2. 1Tizz

1Tizz Regular member

Can anyone help me with this??

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Do you have any packet writing software like Sonic DLA, Roxio Drag to Disc, Direct CD, or N-e-r-o InCD installed on your computer?

4. 1Tizz

1Tizz Regular member

No I don't and I have no idea why it won't open.

5. 1Tizz

1Tizz Regular member

I opened up device manager and under
    Universal Serial Bus Controllers
    there is a Yellow circle with an ! point inside of it for the USB Mass Storage Device and when I click to open that up it says "This device can't start(Code 10)" so I know this must have something to do with both the issue's im having.I hope someone can tell me what the problem is???

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Your burner is an external burner? Have you unplugged it and plugged it back in?

7. 1Tizz

1Tizz Regular member

The problem is not with my external burner,My DVD-Rom thats
    inside of my CPU.I thought it was ok because it started working yesterday after I vacuumed out my CPU,but today its not working.I put
    a Dvd in it and when I try to open a program such as Dvd-Shrink it says NO Disc when in fact there is a Disc in it. I have no idea what
    the problem is.

8. 1Tizz

1Tizz Regular member

My CD-Rom is still acting up and I have no idea whats wrong with it.
    The light on it has been coming on a few times even when there is No Cd inside of it and it won't open when I press the button on the outside of it.After I vacuumed out my CPU yesterday it was working ok but today its back to acting up again.I also have the problem with my Dvd-Rom listed below.

My DVD-Rom thats
    inside of my CPU.I thought it was ok because it started working yesterday after I vacuumed out my CPU,but today its not working.I put
    a Dvd in it and when I try to open a program such as Dvd-Shrink it says NO Disc when in fact there is a Disc in it. I have no idea what
    the problem is.
    Can anyone help me with these issues please??Thanks

9. varnull

varnull Guest

It sounds very much like a problem dvd burner I have. It starts and insists there is a disk in the drive (even goes so far as to mount a cd volume) when there is not. It's a classic hardware failure, usually the drive itself or sometimes, but not often, a cable.

If you were running a proper OS I could make some suggestions, but as you aren't then only thing to do is try replacing the IDE cable, then take the drive and try it in another machine.

Make and model of both?? these drives would help (are we dealing with one or 2 drives now??).. some makes have certain fail scenarios that are well known to us regulars.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008
  10. 1Tizz

1Tizz Regular member

Im NOT having a problem with my external dvd burner!!
    Im having a problem with my original CD-Rom inside of
    my CPU Tower. The light on it sometimes comes on and stays on
    and then when i push the button to eject it it doesn't open.
    There is NO disc inside of my CD-Rom and my computer is
    almost 6yrs old.

The problem im having with my DVD-Rom is in the same CPU as
    im talking about above and it started acting up shortly after.It only plays dvd's and is NOT a burner.My computer is not recognizing that there is a disc/dvd inside of the DVD-Rom. So im having
    2 different issues with 2 different drives inside of my CPU.

I friend of mine told me that it sounded like both my drives are
    going out and that I should just get a new one. When you say "Replace
    the Cable" what cable are you referring to?

Thanks

11. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Are you sure when you vacuumed out the inside of the pc you didn't knock either one of the ide or power cable/wires to the drives loose? Make sure both cables to the back of the drives are fully seated. Could you have vacuumed a jumper out the back of the drive. Google installing a dvd drive and look at the picture of the back of a drive and make sure the cables are seated. Chances of two drives going out at same time slim. You knocked something loose in MHO.

12. 1Tizz

1Tizz Regular member

WHat is a Jumper and what does it look like cause I can look in my
    vacuum canister. My CD-Rom drive has been acting this way for awhile now but I don't use it that often but when I decide to it won't open.
    Now when I press the eject button no lights come on at all.

And the other issue with my Dvd-Rom not working has me confused lol.Once I vacuumed the cpy out everything worked fine,then the next day both didn't work.

13. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Did you find a picture of the back of a dvd drive? Google! you also may have a screw loose. Help yourself some.

14. 1Tizz

1Tizz Regular member

Yes I did a google search but I can't say that helped me any. Most were video's of how to install etc. I opened up the cpu again and looked to see if anything was unplugged or different but all looked
    the same to me. Im just totally baffled as to what the actual problem is.

15. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

16. 1Tizz

1Tizz Regular member

After looking at that picture 7/8 there are 2 of those in
    my cpu that are not plugged into anything.Are all of
    those inside the cpu supposed to be hooked up to something??
    If so,How do I go about hooking them back up if thats whats wrong??
    I'll have to open up my cpu again tomorrow and double check,If im
    not mistaken the ones Im referring too that are just hanging have
    a letter such as "P" and a number on them.Does that sound right??

17. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

If you have 2 cd/dvdrom drives then both should have two cables plugged into the back of each drive. The ide cable (wide thin one) has two connectors one at end and the other near the end) both of these connectors are attached to the rom drives. The other end is attached to the motherboard and should be checked and seated as well. The other connector is a fatter 4 wire power source and may also have two connectors on the end, one for each drive. There are generally 2 ide cables, one for rom drive and the other for you hard disc drive, and unless you have two internal HDDs one end won't be attached to anything, same if you only have 1 internal rom drive. If you have 2 internal rom and 2 internal HDD, then all ide cables should be plugged in/used.

If you unplug a wide thin ide cable make sure you have it oriented correctly when you plug it back in; so as not to bend all the little contacts. And seat it firmly in place.

6of8 shows what the two wires-connectors- look like in the link above.

The ide connectors must be plugged into the same drive that it was removed from in order to keep the jumper configuration correct- Master/slave.

If you need to install another DVD-rom drive you can use this link. DVD-rom drives can be had for $25 from newegg.com if you need a new one.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  18. 1Tizz

1Tizz Regular member

Thanks for all the help and replies,I am pretty sure that everything is plugged in as I looked at it again today.I have decided to buy a New Pc which I will pick up tomorrow so no worries.I think after 6 yrs its time for a new pce with more to offer then what I have now.
    My New Pc will have Window's Vista instead of XP :( Do you have any idea about Vista and what people think about it??
    Thanks again.

19. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

In a few words Vista sucks! I just bought a new pc in May so I could still get XP Pro. Some others here are now using Vista and are OK. I want no part of it or XP service pack 3. Good luck

20. 1Tizz

1Tizz Regular member

WHats so bad about Vista?? I had NO problem with XP,I thought it was good but maybe thats because its the only thing ive known since owning a Pc LOL. You know now that I think of it,I wasn't having an issue with my Dvd-Rom until after my computer updated and down loaded service pack 3.But at any rate,im looking forward to having a new Pc and hoping it will be the last for a very long time.

Im not sure if you can answer this question here or not but when getting a new pc,How do I export all my favorite webpages I have saved or can I even do that? And im assuming I will have to re-install all of my programs etc that are on my desktop as well?
    Thanks