1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cd/dvd burner/drive disappeared(completely)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by 534, Feb 5, 2005.

1. 534

534 Guest

After uninstalling a group of dvd burning promotional software referred to me through this forum my cd/dvd drive disappeared.

It appeares that the firmware was gone but upon reinstalling the firmware it prompts (not able to access drive error 71)

It appears that there is no drive in the sistem. Im at the end of my rope.

Any ideas?

2. 534

534 Guest

Im using windows xp with all current updates.
    When viewing all current drives under my computer the cd drive is gone..

If more info is needed let me know
    thank you

3. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

Might be a stupid question, but I am assuming you tried a re-boot and windows XP did not find your drives?

Whitfield

4. 534

534 Guest

At the point Im at no question is stupid, but yes MANY times.

5. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

I am assuming you want to avoid a complete system recovery? I generally set a restore point before I try new programs--just in case--and have had to use it--not however after the programs I got here--any way you can do a partial restore--back to before you had trouble?

6. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

You say you re-installed firmware? I have been told that if not done properly and exactly, you can screw up your drives.

7. 534

534 Guest

Also,
    Not being sure what is causing this, I have uninstalled all unnecessary programs and am down to the bare minimum.

8. 534

534 Guest

Ive heard the firmware statment also, but dont believe that is it. I installed the proper one for my drive.

9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I would lke to know what programs caused this in the first place. I have never heard of uninstalling a program to cause this problem.

Jerry

10. J_man

J_man Regular member

If in the process of uninstalling the programs you were prompted with a message that stated
    " some files are shared by other programs do you wish to uninstall these as well "
    If you clicked yes and were not sure wich progams were using those shared files you have probably corrupted and or deleted some of your driver files in the system32 folder.

As Whitfield stated restoring to an earl point might help but if your down to the bare minimum on your computer a full restore may be needed.

Also just for grins, check to make sure your ide cables are firmly seated on the drive and motherboard, and does your bios see your drive?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  11. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I have uninstalled MANY programs and shared files. Never had a piece of hardware just disappear. I have seen viruses and hijackers do some strange stuff to a system.

Jerry

12. 534

534 Guest

jerry746
    Ive never heard this either,thats why Im at the point Im at. Im just a novice but have always been able to work through my problems,

Being a novice, how do I fix the problem if if disks in the drive are not being recognized, or for that matter the drive.

Sorry for asking a question on a subject that might be a simple fix.

You only learn if you ask, and things usually dont get broke.

Thanks

13. 534

534 Guest

Just thought of something else,
    upon reboot the drive is recognized but when installing the firmware I get the message "cannot get drive"

and after checking I verifyed that there are no drivers installed for the drive.