1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cd/dvd drive not reading any disc

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by emmaxxx, Jul 4, 2007.

1. emmaxxx

emmaxxx Member

hey.. my computer wont let me use disc in it. it use to left me but a friend of mine said that they needed to use my computer and ever since then it wont let me use disc... i dont no what he did to it but it wont let me use cd/dvd in my computer.. any body help...i would be really greatful if any1 could help.. thanks

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Try this:
    Go into your Device Manager, and find your drive. Right click on it, and choose "Uninstall". After it uninstalls, reboot, and let Windows detect new hardware, and install new a driver for you.
    Good luck!

3. zucca08

zucca08 Member

i actually have the same problem and i uninstalled the driver and rebooted and it reinstalled it automatically, but i put a disc in and nothing happened.

4. seats

seats Guest

Same problem, did what you said, still don't read disks;

seats

5. JVC

JVC Active member

That will fix that problem, a lot of times, but not always. Sorry it didn't fix it for you. The only other thing I can think of is to see if there's a firmware update for your drive.........
    Good luck!

6. emmaxxx

emmaxxx Member

hey.. sorry i have been so long gettin bac i haven been on..its not my computer that i am fixing so i jus want to make sure i do everything right..i understand the part about deleting the drive but then when i restart it wil something come up about the new driver?? this is the part that im lost at.. could you please help.. thanks

7. JVC

JVC Active member

Yes, it should. It will ask something like, "do you want Windows to install............". Just click "Yes" or "OK", whichever term it uses. I haven't done this in a long time, and don't remember exactly what the wording is.
    Good luck!

8. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Since there are no drivers that you have to install, Windows will install a driver and just notify you that the drive has been found.

Hopefully, it will work now.

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

emmaxxx & seats, any error codes like 39 or exclamation marks in device manager?

10. zucca08

zucca08 Member

i dont know if this is just my computer, but when i uninstalled the drive, it reinstalled it about 5 seconds later, without rebooting.

11. JVC

JVC Active member

Did you try again?
    You have to manually reboot. It doesn't do it by itself.
    I've never known one to reinstall itself like that.
    Maybe run your anti-virus and spyware software.........

12. trixit

trixit Guest

mine has the same problem and i tryed everything. does it mean i have to buy a new computer for it to work? or is there something you can replace to make it work?

this is so gay..omg.
    kbye

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

To those in this thread having issues with the drive not reading disks I would recommend a little more information could help like what type of computer you have (desktop or laptop) the model number and brand, what brand and model number drive are you using, what operating system you are using. If we are better informed it makes it much easier to help.

14. seats

seats Guest

Have two computers home built:
    1:p5P asus motherboard w/pentium D processor, 2g memory, ATI Display adapter, HP dvd640 dvd/rw/r drive, NEC DV-5700A CD Drive, WIndows XP, Windows live one care, webroot spy sweeper

2: P5B asus motherboard, w/ Intel core 2 duo processor, 3g memory, ATI Display,HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55L ATA Drive, LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163 Drive , Windows Vista, Windows live one care, webroot spy sweeper

None of these drives will recognize cd's. Could the anti spyware be causing this problem???

15. tilos

tilos Member

Hi all!
    I just have same problem guys,the solution was the cable!
    I did check the wires at the both of joint (motherboard & CD)
    I did pull out and put back,after this the problem gone.
    Looks like some oxid or dust make funny with me.Maybe I can recommend a different cable test as well,if this solotion does not work.
    Other tip: set the cd drive master,set boot option for the CD first then try boot whit it,if does not come through one of is wrong cable or unit.If boot up Ur win make the funny.
    All the best, Ben