1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD/DVD ROM drive

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by DavidW123, Dec 26, 2004.

1. DavidW123

DavidW123 Guest

I have Matshita DVD-ROM SR-8584A which started its life as a compnent of a Gateway system. It has suddenly stopped working. If I put an audio CD in it, the orange light flashes and there are numerous clicks, but no software recognises that a CD has been inserted. Eventually it stops.

Is this likely to be fixable economically? I also have a DVD burner, but I use the DVD-ROM for CD copying for back-up purposes.

Thanks

David

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Could be something you might fix with a uninstall/reboot or a ASPI update or even a firmware update :)

3. DavidW123

DavidW123 Guest

Thanks,

You'll have to treat my like an idiot. How do I do all of the things you suggest? Do you mean physically uninstall the drive? Sorry don't know how to do an ASPI update although I guess the drive manufacturer will tell me how to do the firmware update.

Thanks for your suggestions.

David

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

No need to physically uninstall the drive, you do it through Device Manager. Here's how:

Go to Device Manager >

Expand the tree for DVD/CD ROM Drives >

Find the drive in question, right click it and go to Properties >

Under the Driver tab, select Uninstall then OK.

Now reboot and Windows should detect and reinstall the drive.

If this doesn't help try the same steps as above except expand the tree for IDE ATA/ATA Controllers and uninstall either the Primary or Secondary controller depending on which one the drive in question is attatched to. Nero Info Tool can tell you which chain the drive is on under the Configuration tab.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_info_tool.cfm

Here's a good link for ASPI:

http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm