1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cd/dvd rom volume name doesn't refresh in windows explorer with new disc

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by gtnheimer, Nov 2, 2005.

1. gtnheimer

gtnheimer Guest

My problem is that whenever I put a new dvd/cd into any drive on my computer, it won't refresh the volume name in windows explorer. The new files on the new dvd/cd will be there, but the name won't change without restarting my computer. Or if I put a disc in what was an empty drive reading the drive letter (E:, F:, etc.) the drive letter will remain the displayed volume name. Also, dvd playing programs can read volume names of new discs so I doubt if it's a hardware issue. Anything anyone could offer would be great! :)

2. roboguy

roboguy Member

I have the same problem, any help would greatly be appreciated.

3. Sean_ix

Sean_ix Member

This is a side-effect of disabling Autorun (not to be confused with Autoplay). There is not a Microsoft GUI for disabling Autorun. So either a registry value was changed, a 3rd party tweak utility was used (e.g., Tweak-XP Pro), or a 'security' application has it disabled. Note: there are a few MS GUIs to enable/disable Autoplay, but they won't help with this.

Autorun - updates the CD/DVD label and runs "autorun.exe" if it's on the disc.

Autoplay - determins the type of media on the disc and automatically opens an aplication chosen by the user.

To get CD/DVD volume lables to update re-enable Autorun however it was disabled. If you don't know or remember how it was done then do a search on Microsoft's Knowledgebase for "Autorun" to get the registry key. The KB you want explains how to disable it.

With Autorun re-enabled you can still selectively prevent Windows from running "autorun.exe" on the CD/DVD by holding down the SHIFT key while you close the drive tray. Keep it held down untill you see the drive light go on and off. The volume label will still update.

You'll have to decide what functionality you want more (accurate volume lables or automatic prevention of Autorun). To bad we can't have both. However, manual prevention of Autorun is possible.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  4. ireland

ireland Active member

Enable/Disable Autorun

How To Enable/Disable Autorun (Windows 95/98/Me)
    Access the System Properties Dialog. Using Control Panel: My Computer: Properties or Explorer: My Computer: Properties.

Select the Device Manager tab.

Select the CD-ROM folder.

Select the entry for your CD-ROM drive.

Select Properties.

Select the Settings tab.

Turn on or off the Auto insert notification option.

Select OK.

Select OK

How To Enable/Disable Autorun (Windows NT/2000)
    Start RegEdit (regedt32.exe).

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/Cdrom.

Edit the Autorun value to '1' to enable autorn, and '0' to disable autorun.

Close RegEdit

How To Enable/Disable Autorun (Windows XP)
    Open Windows Explorer by pressing the Windows + "e" key.

Right-click the desired CD-ROM and select Properties from the menu.

Select the AutoPlay tab.

Select each item from the pulldown list and for the Action to perform, select "Take no action" to disable autorun, or pick the apporpriate action to take if enabling autorun.

Select OK.

5. gtnheimer

gtnheimer Guest

Thanx for the help sean and ireland, for some reason it now works again but now I know what to do if it happens again.

6. twosheds

twosheds Member

I think it's a shameful security hole that the two functionalities aren't COMPLETELY separate. Of COURSE it's desirable that the volume label update - if I start up the computer with a CD inside saying 'My Music' and put in a CD after start-up that is called 'My Films', all I will see for that session (with autorun turned off) is 'My Music', no matter how many times I access the newly-inserted disc.

Why should I put myself even partially at the mercy of unscrupulous companies (Sony for one, since it was by leaving 'autorun' enabled that their rootkit spread)just for the privilege of seeing the name appear when I put a new CD or DVD in?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  7. urizzato

urizzato Member

English:

Futher Informations

There are two more keys that might affect this functionality:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    NoDriveTypeAutoRun = 0x00000095
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

The correct value for both keys is 0x00000095 (you can change it pressing the right button of the mouse and digiting the number).

Italiano:
    Ulteriori informazioni
    Esistono due altre chiavi che possono influenzare questa funzionalità:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    Il valore corretto di entrambe le chiavi è 0x00000095.

Njoy!
    Urizzato