1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD full with only 44MB of files -- UDFRDR

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by mehzark, Apr 2, 2004.

1. mehzark

mehzark Member

I use Roxio on a new eMachine to backup Quicken files. I have sucessfully backed up to the same CD twice. On the third attempt a message informed me that I could not write to the disk. Looking at the directory I see that my CD has 5 files (they add up to about 44MB) but looking at properties I see the CD is full (700MB). Also, the File System is UDFRDR. Shouldn't I be ablt to use this CD again? This has happened three times to me --i.e., this is the 3rd time a CD could not be used for more than 2 Quicken backups. I would appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

It seems that on the second burning what you did was "finalize" the cd... this means that the cd is closed and no more data can be written to it (its effectively like putting the back cover onto a book -- cant quite add more pages).

While there ARE ways to unclose the cd, i wouldnt trust them with sensitive/volitile/important information.

3. mehzark

mehzark Member

Thanks for your reply. I understand what you're saying but it seems odd that I closed (ended the session) on the CD with my second backup and not my first. I did the same thing on each backup. I will do a test though to see if I have inadvertently closed the CD. Thanks again.

4. Praetor

Are you burning the files using some kind of built in quicken system (its been awhile since ive used quicken) or are you burning them as a normal data cd?

5. mehzark

mehzark Member

Ah, ... interesting question. The Quicken program has a 'backup' tool and that is what I use. Do you think that makes a difference?

6. Praetor

Possibly... when I used to use Quicken i just simply backed up the individual files as a DataCD. It was just a few files anyways so it wasnt a big hassle.

7. mehzark

mehzark Member

I see your point. I was talking to a friend (software engineer) who didn't have any insight to my problem specifically but who did have an interesting observation. He wondered why I wouldn't use a memory stick (my words, not his) by which he meant those small key chain USP plugs that have a 128 or 256 MB capacity. Clearly more space than I need for my 44 MB of Quicken data but still, given how important that data is to me, it's worth looking in to. I think I've seen these devises for $40 to $50 and I have a USB port on the front of my eMachine. Anyway, thanks a lot for your thoughts and taking the time to answer my questions.

8. Praetor

Another thing...... 44MB of backup up information? I dunno because its been ages since i used quicken but when i used to, my backups were TINY, on the order of 600K each? :)

9. mehzark

mehzark Member

Good point. They do seem large. I know they are bigger than most because I run a small business and keep all the years (6 now) in my active file. Also, I track investments too. About 2 years ago I exceeded the capacity of a 3.5 inch floopy and went to a 100MB zip disk. I never thought much about the size except to know it was more than the capacity of the floppy. I'll look into that. Thanks.

10. Praetor

Glad I could help! :D