1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD icon flashing next to mouse pointer

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by dmarie, Sep 17, 2004.

1. dmarie

dmarie Member

I just got a new AOPEN dvd drive--the cd icon continually flashes next to the mouse arrow--there is no disc in the drive. Was told to run scan disk and it should take care of it--don't remember how to get to that, and will that take care of it?

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi dmarie, Don't know if scandisk will correct your problem or not. I guess try it. Windows ME and below: click start -programs-accessories-system tools-scandisk. In Windows XP: click my computer-right click C drive-click properties-then tools. Scandisk is under tools with a check now button. However it won't scan until next boot. It will ask if you want to do it next restart. Hope it fixes your problem.

Jerry

3. dmarie

dmarie Member

ok--thank you, will try. Any other ideas, if that doesn't work? Noticed on some other forums that other people seem to have the same problem, but no answers.

4. dmarie

dmarie Member

I did the scan disk, and I think it worked--no more flashing icon next to my mouse pointer--thank you so much.

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Glad it worked out for you. Wasn't sure if it would do the trick. Happy burning.

Jerry

6. dmarie

dmarie Member

Well, guess I spoke too soon. It doesn't do it near as often, but I still see it flash up once in a while--better than it was tho. Maybe I'll scan again some time soon, see if that gets it.

Thanks for all your help.

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

dmarie, Try going into your device manager and remove the drive there from the system. Then reboot and let windows reinstall it properly for you again. This sometimes helps with strange problems. Can't hurt to try.

Jerry