1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD playback

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by mokiloke, May 28, 2004.

1. mokiloke

mokiloke Guest

Hi can somesome please help me before my reputation is shot to pieces.

Can anyone give me some XVID settings to achieve the following

I want to publish a 4 minute movie at about 720x576 25fps for CD rom playback, that can be played back smoothly on an older machine say 1Ghz 25speed CD ROm.

Is this possible of do I need to move to DVD

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Easy! Your movie will be approx 30MB incl 192Kb/s MP3 audio, and should playback on 1GHz machine OK.
    So what's the prob? You don't need a DVD burner for this.

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. How big is the final target filesize? I cant help you unless I have this info :p
    2. Moving to DVD would require more processing power (and not to mention a DVD drive rather than a CD drive unless you wanted to mess around with MiniDVDs)
    3. A 1Ghz machine is more than enough to playback movies :)

4. mokiloke

mokiloke Guest

Hi thanks for the reply, final movie size is not important as long as it fits on a CD.

I tried the 30MB file but quality is not very good during playback from the hard drive. Is there a datarate I should aim for to make sure the CD rom can keep up?

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Set the XviD bitrate to 2000Kb/sec and you'll be fine or for a nice round size of 100MB,
    VIDEO B/R: 2562 Kb/s
    AUDIO B/R: 224 Kb/s

Now as for playback quality .... there shouldnt be a problem for a 1Ghz machine to keep up with a 24X stream let alone a HDD.... do you have DMA enabled on the drives?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7N8X-X, XP2500+ OC'd to XP3200+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    EVGA, GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: May 30, 2004
  6. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Wow! A four-minute movie that is 100MB...
    You can bet the quality would be good on that.
    I just ripped the Reefer Madness trailer (2 minutes) and got a 15MB file, incl. top-quality audio.
    That is @ 640x480 24fps. Cannot tell difference from source... so I estimated twice that size for mokiloke.
    Well I guess you are not doing a triple-pass rip with GKnot then eh?
    It's only four minutes; you won't need to let that run overnight my friend!
    Based on Praetor's suggested bitrate, I could backup my Matrix3 on, what, 4 or 5 CDRoms?
    I did it with 1 and it is beautiful on my 21"
    Later

7. shiroh

shiroh Guest

it depends on the source, some source, like flat coloured cartoon, or anime can be compressed more, the more detailed ones like GitS might need a little more to get tha almost same quality as source.

you might want to turn off Q-pel , but i think it will run find on a 1Ghz.use 2 b-frames or 3. or disable if you want full quality. GMC, adaptive Quant, if it got a lot of really dark scene or really bright scene. custom matrix, HVS best or didee's six if nine max=20. don't use h263 as it soften the vid. or just mpeg if you're too lazy to find the matrix. VHQ1, as there is comparison made that vhq4 smoothen the video reducing detail. use it with caution.

since filesize is not a problem, just run at single pass quality based at quant 2.

if you want to use 2-pass.
    do a compressibility test, or hust calculate 70% off the size of the 1st pass (full pass) or you can check with statsReader that come with koepi's build.

did you knew trellis got a bug, been fixed, just waiting someone to compile it. but haven't encounter the problem, according to syskin, the bug will produce artifact and smoothen the vid a bit.

i just extacted the cutscene in ffx2 international, and encode the ffvii advent children trailer, at 640X480 telecide and decimate to 24fps, a little Msharpen, length 1min 59secs audio ogg at 224kbps vbr.2-pass vhq1, trellis, adaptive quant, gmc, no b frames, at 1891kbps. filesize achieved 29978 kbyte. quality indistinguishable, at least during playback. and i got it the file size half of the original mpeg2.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2004