1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cd prompting when u insert a cd...

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by jztplayn, Mar 9, 2005.

1. jztplayn

jztplayn Member

ok, i sue to be able to get a prompt that comes up when i insert any kind of cd, or even dvd. that says play with this program, burn with this program, open with this...yada yada yada. its gone now and i want to know how to get it back. any ideas? thanks

2. Weycraze

Weycraze Regular member

You didn't specify what O/S you're using.

Try, My Computer, right click your optical drive, select Properties, and adjust the settings under the Autoplay Tab,

You may have inadvertently selected 'Take no Action'

Hope this helps

3. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Certain burning programs automatically stop the prompt because it could interfere with it's processes. If you have any burning programs on your computer (Alcohol 120, Fireburner), that might very well be the reason.

4. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

@-Quadtric-

Why would these apps cause a conflict with cd action from opening? Is this from personal expeirience or just what you have read?

5. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

It's from personal experience. I know that when I installed a .cue burning program (Fireburner) it stopped giving me the prompt. And my autoplay prompt doesn't come up either, so I just assume it's got to be one of those burning programs.

6. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

7. Weycraze

Weycraze Regular member

I could see the possibility of what Quadratic says, but, from personal experience, I have every burning softy out there all on the same machine, with XP home, and my prompt under Autoplay still works depending on how i set it. Could just be my case scenario.

I would assume if jztplayn can't access this feature of his O/S, his registry is corrupt, for whatever reason.

I've yet to experience a burning software that adjusts/removes/overrides the keys in XP to disable this feature.

You just got me extremely curious as to what vould be going on!

8. jztplayn

jztplayn Member

i have Xp. is there any way i could get that back?

9. Weycraze

Weycraze Regular member

You could try your system restore feature if you know you have a good restore point.

Personally, I hate system restore as I 've never seen it really work, something always ends up going haywire.

My solution, I export my registry once a week and back it up on cd or dvd ( files usually around 70 - 80 Mb)

I always export the registry before installing ANYTHING, so I always have something good to go back on, in the event of software disasters.

...if that doesn't work try uninstalling any software you installed prior to the point you noticed the prompt missing.

Otherwise, you might need a re-format

10. jztplayn

jztplayn Member

lol, nevermind. it stoped like a year or more ago...and ive dl alot of shit since then...o well