1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD quality

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Digidave, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Digidave

Digidave Regular member

I was going trough all the new post & came across this one,
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/177874, & it got me wondering. Does the quality of a CD make a differance in the sound quality? Isn't that just the quality of the files that you use? Does the quality of the CD effect the Bass & Treble? I'm not one for Thumping music, I like nice crispy High Ends. I've been buying Maxell's that show Taiyo Yuden as the manufacturer,& the Dye as (Long strategy: e.g. Cyanine, Azo). Now, I don't really want a discussion on the differance in Manufacturers, because I think I have good quality Taiyo Yuden. But, what about the Bass & Treble responses you get from a CD.If it does make a difference,couldn't you argue that one CD works best with one type of music (Jazz,classical,etc..)& another CD would work best with other types of music (Rock, punk, new wave,etc..). Or, maybe I'm just blowing smoke!!! Opinions greatly appreciated!!!

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The quality of the media won't affect the way the audio sounds. A digital transfer is a digital transfer, nothing more nothing less.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

It definitely depends on the files you use and your software. I havn't heard of there being to much of a difference in CD-R media. I personally have never had a problem with any particular brand of CD-R media.

-----Moments Later-----

Cool, like the moderator said, if you use a digital connection (either Coax or Fiber Optic) you should be ok. There are differnces in the analog signal that certain components produce. Some can be flat, while others are loud. What determines if it is flat or load would be your Digital-to-Analog Converters (DACs) not your CD-R media type.

Learn about DACs:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DAC

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2005
  4. shiroh

shiroh Guest

if you have coasters, sure it won't sound good :)

5. Digidave

Digidave Regular member

Thanx everyone, You all pretty much said what I was thinking. I just wanted the experts opinions.Diabolos, some very good info on that link. Shiro, obvious but funny! Thanx again everyone