1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD-R and RETAIL

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by tillitea, Jun 18, 2003.

1. tillitea

tillitea Member

What is it exactly in an audio CD that you buy from the store that allows it to play in my cd player when an audio CD-R will not? Thanks

tillitea

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

All my audio cd's burned to cd-r work fine in my stereo, boombox, etc, etc.. What program did you use to burn? Do you have a newer style stereo? Ole betsy?

Shoey :)

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Retail cd's are pressed, wheras cd-rs are dye basically! lol so not everything can play them!

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

99.9% of the cd players on the market can play a audio cd-r (if burned properly). Older cd players (of any kind) do have their troubles.

Shoey :)

5. Dela

I know, its very rare that i see any that dont but my brother has one that doesnt! and with dvd players, some dont! thats just stupid! lol

6. tillitea

tillitea Member

"Retail cd's are pressed, wheras cd-rs are dye basically!" This is what I was looking for, eventhough I don't know how it works. Thanks.

tillitea

7. Dela

8. Eckostorm

Eckostorm Member

It all depends on the speed u r burning them at. The faster you burn the thinner the die line on the cd, hence many standard sterio lasers will not be able to read them. as a rule of thumb try to avoid burning over 8x. Computer lasers are hardcore and can read much finer. By burning at a slower speed it also means that if you acidently scratch the cd the die lines are more prominant and you have less risk off scratching off that important 1 or 0.

9. Dela

Ye i suppose burn speed would be a big enough issue but unfortunately some dvd/cd players just can't play cd-r's! Man that sucks!