1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD-R Data Vs CD-R Audio

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by Metallo, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Metallo

Metallo Member

Hi,

I have read some post around in the forum, I am testing in this moment two media:
    [bold]
    TDK CD-R XG Audio
    Verbatim DataLife Plus AZO
    [/bold]
    I have burned the TDK at 4x and the Verbatim at 1x.
    But, what impresses me is the difference you can hear in sound.
    The midrange is more present in the Audio CD and the sound is in general "warmer".

Are you aware of any CD-R data media whose sound is reproduced better than Verbatim? (I mean warmer)

Just for your information, I am certainly a bit spoilt and difficult, 'cause my main listening source is vinyl, in principle for me CD has never been a quality format, SACD and DVD-A are much better, but that's another story...
    This is to give you an idea why, I am looking for the "best in the worst" in terms of CD-R Media.

Thanks guys
    Alex

2. piano632

piano632 Regular member

I gave up using TDK and Verbatim discs for audio a long time ago. Neither one of them completely impressed me. My personal favorites for best audio quality (so far):

Mitsui
    Taiyo Yuden
    Ricoh Platinum (old low-speed discs only)

Probably any Japanese-made discs would be similar in audio quality, but I haven't tried them all.

Audio discs sound better when burned at low speed (no more than 2x, if you ask my ears). Most audio enthusiasts will tell you this, and I agree.

3. Metallo

Metallo Member

Piano632,

Thanks for your feedback.
    I'm glad that somebody shares my thinking on this subject.
    On another forum, I have been "badly" treated and also "insulted" for my statement.
    They claim that CD-R cannot play differently and basically the difference I hear comes out of my immagination.
    I've been into Hi-End for more than 30 years and I couldn't believe what I was reading.
    I was taken as an heretic!

Anyhow, doesn't matter, it's their problem, I will continue to test the best CD-R and, by the way, thanks for your suggestions, I will try the ones you mention.
    Just to be sure, are those data CD-Rs or they produce both Audio and Data?

Cheers

4. piano632

piano632 Regular member

Actually, any CD discs will produce the exact same bits. That is why so many people think that all CDs will sound alike regardless of the disc quality or burning speed. What makes them sound different is how well they play back those bits without adding "jitter" (timing errors). (It took me a couple years to figure this out for myself, because I did notice that every brand of disc sounded "different" even though the bits were completely identical.)

If you are burning your CDs on a computer, then you can use any CDs whether they are labeled as "data" or "audio". Stand-alone burners can only use the "audio" ones. "Audio" discs may have a lower maximum burning speed (maybe 12x or 16x) as opposed to "data" discs which are now at 48x or 52x.

Brands of discs I recommend for audio:

Mitsui (you have to mail-order these)
    Taiyo Yuden (Fuji & TDK CDs "made in Japan" are actually TY discs)
    Ricoh Platinum (only the old low-speed discs (8x-12x) that claim "200 year life", if you can still find any)

Even each of these 3 discs sound slightly different, but equally good. All other brands I've tried so far do not match these.

5. Metallo

Metallo Member

Piano632,

I burn my CDs on a computer and listen to them on a standalone DVD Player, Hi-End quality.
    A good player, puts even more in evidence the defect of a recording or the media on which the recording has been made.
    This happens with any equipment.
    The usual comment I hear is: It's 0 or 1, cannot sound different.
    It's like saying that the sound capabilities of power amplifier (A) whose technical specs are better than p.a. (B), result in better sound. Nothing is more wrong than this.
    So, I perfectly agree with your statement.

Would you please suggest me a mail order shop to buy Mitsui? At this point, can I conclude that in my case, Data or Audio CD from, say, Mitsui, will not make any difference given that they will be burned on computer and played on Audio equipment?

Thank you
    Alex

6. piano632

piano632 Regular member

You can buy Mitsui discs (a.k.a. MAM) direct from Mitsui at:
    http://www.mitsuicdr.com/

Or for more selection and better prices, try:
    http://www.american-digital.com
    They also sell Taiyo Yuden discs there too.

I have used both audio and data CDs by Mitsui for audio use, and to my ears they sound identical. Some people say the gold discs sound better than the silver ones. I haven't tried the gold ones, so I can't say if they sound better or not. And it isn't whether or not they are labeled as "audio" but the quality of the disc manufacturing that counts most. But take my advice - nothing "made in Taiwan" sounds all that good.