1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD-R disk longevity -- what can be expected from various types / brands?

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by beaters, Nov 10, 2003.

1. beaters

beaters Member

Has anyone done any ratings concerning the projected longevity of CD-R disks. I am persoanlly concerned mainly about disks used to back-up data, but I would thing people who archive music or video would also be concerned about this issue. Most of the ratings for disks I ahve seen concern mainly reliability in terms of producing readable disks. Another relevant question is, how long will disks be expected to last after successful recording assuming they are not abused and kept in a reasonably stable environment (dark, cool, dust-free, and so on).

2. artagel

artagel Member

Hmm, pretty quiet around here huh? It's a bit disconserting that two of 'Read Me' threads haven't been posted to in almost six months.

I've been lurking in this forum trying to get to the bottom line of what brands are going to go the distance... The top three threads in this forum have good info. It all boils down to dye manufactures though. An excerpt from readme first:

For example the well known brand TDK is usually made by these 3 manufacturers:
    1) Taiyo Yuden - very high quality
    2) RITEK - very high quality
    3) TDK Corporation - sometimes these give problems
    ----

It's certainly a frustrating thing that the cd makers aren't consistent. It's as if they don't believe that there is a difference..

It's also strange that this is one of the only places that I've found that real world media longevity is discussed on the web, and now it's getting quiet around here, ah well.

-Bennett