1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD-R Label Problems

Discussion in 'Audio' started by oakchip, Aug 31, 2004.

1. oakchip

oakchip Guest

I have recently (start of 2004) bought a Canon i865 printer which can print (inkjet) straight onto CD-R and DVD discs. I do a lot of transferring audio files from old VInyl records in my collections to CD-R - cleaning them up in the process. I have recently started applying blank labels (using a proper label kit) to the discs, and then printing them direct in the printer. Visually, Great!!. But - after a month or two all discs have started audio degradation; with gradually increasing noise as the disc is played. Has anyone else found this problem - or more importantly - a solution??

I spend many hours cleaning up the sound files and recording the discs - only to see quite a lot ruined!! Should I apply the labels after printing? Should I use printable discs? Or abandon the whole idea of using labels? Any help appreciated. I use a rather elderly CD Re-writing unit - HP 9100 PLus. This is about to be upgraded to an ASUS DVRW 0804P unit for DVD recording as well as CD recording - will this help??

2. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

The MAIN problem with putting labels on CDs is the fact that the recordable/reflective surface is on the top layer.

This means that the application of a label to the top of a CD will cause data degredation and loss.

SOME of the factors that are relevant are:

1 - cheap/poorly manufactured CDs have a very thin (or non-existant) protective layer
    2 - the reflective layer is very easily damaged
    3 - the glue used to stick a label on can react (chemically & physically) with the reflective layer
    4 - if the disk is not applied ABSOLUTELY perfectly flat, it will induce physical stress within the reflective layer
    5 - if the label is applied where there is ANY thermal imbalance between the disk/label/ambient temperatures there will be physical stresses induced as the temeratures equalise
    6 - playing a CD WILL heat up the CD to some degree, if the thermally induced expansion properties of the label/glue/CD do not match exactly then stress is induced once again.
    7 - changes in humidity will be absorbed at a higher rate by the label, acusing expansion and stress as above.

etc. etc.

I could go on, but I think you get the picture.....

Now, GOOD QUALITY inkjet-printable CDs are a different animal.

The QUALITY makes are careful to provide a protective top surface that is capable of being printed on (don't label them).

Using a quality make, in a printer capable of printing directly onto the surface (not a contact printer), and using the CORRECT INKS (using cheap/no-name inks will cause problems - ink bleed/smearing/smudging/chemical reaction), you should be able to keep your copies for quite a while.

Even then they will fail after a few years (100 years, yeah, right!!).

Do a GOOGLE search for CD ROT....

Hope this helps.

3. oakchip

oakchip Guest

drchip - Thanks for your reply! All replies much appreciated!. I have had problems before with discs failing - but this was down to a faulty CDRW drive (which failed just 15 months after purchase!!)I do try to buy only high quality discs - preferring brands like TDK, Emtec (BASF), and so on. I do apply the label with an applicator to get the label exactly centred. But, I do take your point about the reflective surface. It does not take much to damage the upper surface of a disc - which ruins the disc - I have not had much luck in finding printable discs in the retail shops in the U.K. - I will have to try the internet - anyone any ideas where???

4. ajsparky

ajsparky Guest

5. roberson

roberson Guest

When I first started burning DVD last year I too placed labels on all my DVD. After six months I started to play them and found they all were bad.
    Will play for awhile then freeze up. Boy was I mad.
    I had burned over 50 DVD and all were bad. It is caused by inferior blank media disks. I junked all my blank disks and starting to use Ritrix G04 blank media disks with NETO water based lables www.neato.com. I have burned over 200 DVD since and not one problem with them. Hope this helps. Purchase only the best blank media. Robert everglad@peganet.com

6. oakchip

oakchip Guest

Thanks for your replies - they are appreciated! I always try to buy good quality branded CD and DVD discs - though this can be a problem. No shop that I have found in the UK seems to have the same brand available twice!! I try to buy well-known brands such as TDK, Verbatim, Emtec (BASF), and so-on. I have read in various forums these are not always from the same manufacturing plant! "Brands" buy whichever is cheapest from people who actually make the discs - and have their own labels and packaging put on. Sticking with one brand is no guarantee you are getting the same quality discs. I have looked at the UK Web site suggested - they sell Verbatim discs; I shall try these!! Once again thanks for your trouble to read my wandering thoughts - and for your replies!!

7. hasrizal

hasrizal Guest

hi oak... so u r using Canon i865. It's hard to find ppl using Canon printers in this forum. At least that's why I can see judging from the posts in this forum. It'll be helpful to me if u can comment on that printers. Espcecially on its printing directly on CD/DVD printable media. Currently I'm using Canon S520 (4 years old already) and thinking of upgrading to those with direct DVD/DVD printing capabilities. Many forumners were discussing about Epson, but in my place Epson's not so popular due to high running cost, after sales support. But personally I find Epson producing better printing result than Canon. Again it's my personal opinion. So hoping u can comment on yur i865. Thanks

8. oakchip

oakchip Guest

Hi! I have used Epson printers, and they are very good machines. I only changed because of ink costs - although Epson are now producing "single color cartridges" - much cheaper than multi-color changes, where you have to change the whole color cartridge when just one colour runs out. Apart from this, the Cannon machine had CD-R printing direct to disc, special photo printing facilities, and was cheaper than Epson machines with a similar specs!! You would not be disappointed with either machine - just choose on buying costs, running costs, and whre you can get it!!