1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cd -r problems

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by davidsq, Sep 21, 2007.

1. davidsq

davidsq Member

You will have to forgive me my computer skills are not the best.
    I have happily been burning cd-r for about a 2 months using cd-r's i have copied films and audio i ahve had no problems until today.
    my optiarc dvd rw ad-7170s has decided it no longer likes this type of disc, it plays original DVD's & Films copied on to DVD-RW's no problem. it will not play any CD-R or original Audio CD's.
    I am using Nero 7 and it just say's that there is no media disc inserted i have downloaded copyxdvd that has made no diference. the only technical message i can get is "buffer underrun protection activated" but i don't know what this means?
    can any one help?????

2. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

When copying data from a hard drive to an optical drive for recording, the data have to flow at a steady rate so that the drive does not run out of information and lose data to write in the guide track. The computer and drive combine to store data in buffer memory from which the drive extracts data it needs at the rate it wants. "Buffer underruns" mean times when the data stored in the buffer memory run out. This was not uncommon in the days of 300MHz CPUs and internal memory of 64MB, but it would be unusual with today's computers.

For your problem, try right-clicking on My Computer, clicking on the Hardware tab and opening Device Manager. Double-click on CD/DVD-ROM drives and on the AD-7170. In the dialogue box that opens, click on the Properties tab and make sure that the box labeled "Enable digital CD playback" is checked.

3. davidsq

davidsq Member

Thanks for your advice. I have tried this and it was already ticked. i have been advised to reinstall media player 9 which i have done. it has made no difference it just says no disc when i insert a cd-r with something on it or a original cd.