1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD-R versus CD+R

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by Paul74899, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Paul74899

Paul74899 Guest

I'm new to this CD recording media. Would someone be kind enough to tell me if there is difference between the CD-R and the CD+R disks? I think I want to purchase an ILO CD recorder/player from Wal-Mart.
    It uses only the CD+R. I saw they have only a small selection of CD+R to choose from but a huge selection of CD-R on the shelves. Is there something odd about the CD+R? Thanks a million for any replies.

2. colw

colw Active member

Do not believe that there is a CD+R format. The official CD format is CD-R.

Are you getting confused with DVD+R and DVD-R? These are two different formats.

3. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Never heard of CD+R. The +Rs and -Rs are DVD formats for 2 competing standards by Philips/Sony and Pioneer. If the DVD recorder has only one (i.e., +R/+RW), then -R/-RW won't be burnable (but readable). If it has both -/+, then you don't have to worry. CDRs will be recordable in any DVD burner these days.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  4. Paul74899

Paul74899 Guest

Thank you for the correction. Yes, I meant DVD-R and DVD+R. When examining all the different models of DVD recorders at Wal-Mart, I noticed the ILO model DVDRO4 seemed good enough for me and saw it will only record to the DVD+R disks. Then I saw Wal-Mart has many more brands of DVD-R compared to the DVD+R to choose from. Just wanted to know what was the difference, advantage, disadvantage between the 2, if any at all. Thanks for any replies.

5. Pein

Pein Active member