1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD-R90 HIGH CAPACITY 800MB

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by labtec99, May 11, 2010.

1. labtec99

labtec99 Member

I just want to know that as long as I use a HIGH CAPACITY cd-r 800MB, and then make sure I go to the expert features section within Nero Express and enter 90 mins for maximum, is this all that needs to be done to enable me to burn a total length of Audio close to 90 minutes?

2. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

That should work. But if you want to listen to any audio on the disc, you will find it very difficult to find CD players that will work with a disc that violates the Philips Red Book standards. Philips never approved 90-minute CD-R discs, and they have problems with most CD players.

3. labtec99

labtec99 Member

That's funny you should mention that about Philips as I have 2 different types of High Capacity CD-R, the first is TDK which Nero does recognise as 90:59:48 800MB, the other is actually Philips, and this Philips doesn't appear to recognise the disc as being High Capacity as the disc info is says it's 79:57:74 703MB

Would this be to do with what you were saying regarding Philips?

And if I were to use the Philips disc do you think it would still capture the data for a 89:01 length audio CD?

4. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

It sounds as though "high capacity" means 90 minutes to TDK (who also once offered a CD-R format that stored nearly 1.2GB) and 80 minutes to Philips, who establish the official standards for CD-R audio discs (known as the "Red Book"). The original CD-R held 63 minutes and had a minimum spacing between burn marks of .97 microns. The 74-minute CD-R followed with a minimum space of .83 microns. This is the typical limit for molded CDs. An 80-minute CD-R followed with a minimum gap of .77 microns, which is very slightly smaller than the .78 micron infrared wavelength used by CD lasers. Going to a 90-minute CD-R disc would require a minimum spacing of .68 microns, much smaller than the laser wavelength and inviting trouble for any pickup head not designed to tolerate extremely tight specifications with little to no deviation. That is why Philips has not approved 90-minute CD-Rs and why there are very few on the market. They are simply unreliable in most CD players.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  5. Paula_X

Paula_X Guest

Again I learned something, thanks Joe.. also nobody mentioned a lot of burners will not create disks that size.. it's an overburn and I guess the laser wavelength comes into play there as well.

6. labtec99

labtec99 Member

I just converted one large MP3 file of 89 minutes & 02 seconds into separate tracks, and have used Nero to record these files as an Audio CD, using the TDK disc, and because Nero recognises it as 800MB it simply went through the process with obviously no warning message about overburning being that Nero recognised the CD-R capacity.

The thing is I can obtain the Philips High Capacity discs much easier, and wondered that because Nero doesn't recognise the 800MP capacity for Philips, do you think using these discs would still be ok? as I could just say yes to the warning message about the CD-R not being large enough and do I want to overburn.

Or would you say that because it doesn't recognise the Philips 800MB it may then damage the writer?

I ask as I am just thinking it may be just warning message built into the software, and that by saying yes to the warning messages for the Philips discs would not therefore cause any problems to either the disc itself or even the writer.

7. labtec99

labtec99 Member

I have noticed that Nero recognises the TDK High Capacity CD-R's, and burns audio discs close to 90 minutes with no problems.
    But the Philips High Capacity discs are not recognised by their true capacity and are shown as 80 min by Nero. And because of this Nero produces a warning message when trying to use a Philips 800MB disc, my question is it safe to say yes even though it's not recognised as 800MB capacity?

Using another program called Burrrn, not Nero, and what is reported by the Burrrn program for disc info. what confuses me is why is it reporting the total capacity as 79:57:74 when it also says CD-R medium : 96:43:37, or are they 2 different things?

CD-RW : no
    Total Capacity : 79:57:74 (359849 blocks, 702/807 MB)
    CD-R medium : 96:43:37: unknown vendor ID
    Recording Speed : n/a
    CD-R empty : yes

8. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

You are mixing up the ATIP message and the capacity the drive/software will attempt to write. Have you tried to play any of these discs? Do you have a CD player that will play 90 minutes of audio? Why not record the unconverted MP3 files onto a DVD and play the audio back in a DVD player that recognizes MP3? It seems that you're spending a lot of time with an unreliable format to see if it can be done. Can a bicycle go 90 miles an hour? In some cases, yes--but it's very dangerous...

9. labtec99

labtec99 Member

Yes, the TDK HC disc I have recently burned plays fine on all my players, even the portable ones.
    Yes, as per first answer.
    I have it already on a DVD, but wanted to have it as an audio CD only, of which I have now on a TDK cd.

It's not an unreliable format at all as long as valid media is used.