1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD-Rom does not recognise CD-RW disks

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by Vger, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Vger

Vger Member

Hi, I have an Atek cd rw drive in my new xp machine. I wanted to burn data cd's on this to load into my old win98se machine with a x24 cd-rom drive (to use it as a backup computer in the event of failure of the new one) - but the cd-rom drive does not recognise that there's even a cd in the tray. An ideas as to what is happening here, and how it can be fixed? Many Thanks Vger

2. cyberkhan

cyberkhan Guest

Have a similar problem! My Samsung Combo SM-332 was working fine till recently. The problem I have got is that it doesn't recognize CDRW and doesn't write or format it (using InCD). The format shown is unknown. Burning CDR is normal and working fine. I am using Win XP, Nero 6 Ultra and InCD. Please help!

3. epic44

epic44 Member

Same type problem with my BenQ 52x24x52 CD burner. Using the 4.1.0.0 version of InCD it did not recognize the Memorex CD-RW 16X-24X disks. Nero support suggested I use another brand. Purchased some Verbatim UltraSpeed CD-RW disk. What brand do I try next? There is no problem with the burning part only recognizing it and formating the CD. Sounds like the problem exists with various CD burners. InCD software?? Interested in replies. Got another query into the support. Will pass on there next suggestion.

4. robinr

robinr Guest

I had the same problem when I first upgraded my computer to XP Pro. (my drive is a Samsung combo drive SM-332) I first noticed it when I tried to view my photos that I had taken with my Sony CD300 digital camera. (which uses the mini CD-RW disks) But I also had the same problem with other disks that I had burned myself with either Nero or Roxio. I had called Dell, searched the Microsoft website, and even contacted Sony and Samsung...all with no luck. I finally figured out that if I "finalized" the disks, then XP would recognize them just fine. When using the digital camera, I had to finalize the disks before trying to view them, and when burning a normal size CD, I had to choose "no multisession disk" so that it would be "closed" when I finished burning it. With the digital camera, it's no big deal because I can "unfinalize" them on the camera to add more pictures. But on the regular size disks, once you finalize them in Nero or Roxio, you can't add more data later. So be sure that you add as much as you want to the first time so you won't waste too much disk space.

Anyway...I hope this helps! I looked long and hard to find the answer to this problem and I was about to pull my hair out and the drive!

Good luck :)