1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD-ROM Help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by j_holmes, Jan 20, 2007.

1. j_holmes

j_holmes Regular member

Hi guys,

I am trying to fix a friends PC and am asking for any advice. For some reason XP (Home) is not recognizing the CD-ROM drive. I see that it has power and when the PC reboots the light flashes as normal. When I checked the Device Manager the devise isn't in the list. Plus it is not listed in 'My Computer'. As well, some how they corrupted the Control Panel. When I try to open it a message stating 'Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close' appears.

So far I disconnected the drive, rebooted, shut down, reconnected drive hoping Windows would recognize it again. Didn't work though.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i presume the bios sees the drive? any error codes? did you try a system restore to before the problem started?

3. j_holmes

j_holmes Regular member

Thanks for replying.

I ended up taking my drive out of my PC and installing it into his and it found the new hardware right away.

I assume he needs a new CD-ROM drive then. Right? Or could be a driver issue still?

Thanks

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try friend's drive if yours is seen as windows uses it's own driver. if still not seen by both bios & windows than replace.