1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD-RW Expire after 1000-- Do damage?

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by Pinot, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Pinot

Pinot Member

Hi, I understand that cd-rw's will expire after approx. 1000 burns, but how does this happen?

Will it damage you're maching using attempting to use an expired disc and how do you know it can't be used anymore -- like does it's reliability fade away or does one day it just refuse to burn?

Any help is much appreciated :)
    Thankyou._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Aussies 4 ICC World Cup of Cricket Feb. 2003 in South Africa :)[/small]

2. mhoope01

mhoope01 Member

I am going to be incredibly bold here, but I have found that CDRW's dont work very well after about a dozen goes. I have only used Ritek's, and only bothered with 10 or so CDRW's in my life.

Has anyone genuinely used a CDRW more than about 15 times with success?

3. aqua

aqua Guest

According to what I previously read on this forum, it will be the something called the TOC (table of content) I think that will fail first. It make sens because your burner has to burn a kind of index everytime you burn on your cd-rw. So when you won't be able to burn the TOC, the cd-rw won't be burnable after. Or maybe you will be able to burn it but not to read it after. I don't really know, i'm just trying to figured out with logic !

I don't use a lot of CD-RW. I burned less than 10 times on each of mine without problems.

4. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

mhoope,

My very first CD-RW ever is still live and kicking. It was -98 I think when I got it. I don't have the burn count of it, but must be above 15.

5. GodFinger

GodFinger Regular member

True. True.
    I haven't had any problems with CD-RW's I have brands Maxells, Plextors, TDKs, and others... Hi-Speed (4x-10x) and regulars (1x-4x). They have all worked fine. And the first RW a bought was a cheap DISC-branded CD-RW, speed rating was 1x-2x (so that was pretty early times when I bought that) And that RW is still live and kicking.
    When I blank a CD-RW, I usually blank it completely, even though it takes it's time. As an average, i have burnt about 80-100 times to all the RW's...
    I think that the firs thing which is going to reduce the age of a CD-RW, is scraches.

6. mhoope01

mhoope01 Member

ok, I stand (or rather, sit) corrected -- I must have bought a dodgy batch. Its clever technology really, isn't it? Never really thought about it before... :)