1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD-RW media compatibility

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by kaalrock, May 13, 2003.

1. kaalrock

kaalrock Member

I wish to thank you all for making me feel like I am not some sort of retard. I, too, had problems burning Memorex CD-R's and CD-RW's. I even wrote them an email and a customer service representative said the problem might be that my drive was too fast for the media I was using. Funny, though, my Verbatim disc did not give me one problem! Because of this episode, I do not understand how to figure out which media is right to be used with my drive and the one I wish to replace it with -- and WHY. If anyone can explain this to me, I would greatly appreciate it. That way I won't have to feel like a two-year old much longer! Thank you.

2. mhoope02

mhoope02 Member

Are you burning at the specified speed?

Do you have any problems with any other discs? If not, then point the finger at the Memorex (although they should be ok)... try sending them back, or have a bonfire or something

3. kaalrock

kaalrock Member

Actually, I've had no problem with Verbatim or Maxell disks. Your suggestion of having a bonfire is an excellent one.

4. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

5. xbennyboy

xbennyboy Guest

I have a Creative CD-RW Blaster 8-4-32. The Verbatim CDRWdisk that Creative gave me works, but the Memorex HighSpeed 4X CDRW(well it says that on the disk) doesn't work. Same problem as you. Actually it worked for a short time after i used DirectCD from Roxio, but then it stopped working after i erased it. Whenever I try to burn Memorex CDRWs my burner recks the CD and renders it unburnable. I have wasted 3 CDRWs so far. I think that some burners can't burn CDs with the "disc CD-ReWritable HighSpeed" icon on them.

6. mhoope02

mhoope02 Member

UR CDRW's ist Death!!!!!11

7. xbennyboy

xbennyboy Guest

I don't get your lingo, dude.

8. mhoope02

mhoope02 Member

Sorry... Google and have a look at some of the old VQF forums ;)

A topic I dont subscribe to is different CDR's not liking different burners.... to me, a decent CDR will work anywhere. However, its a different story with CDRW's. There are lots of anomolies, it seems.

I have some Traxdata CDRW's that wont burn at < 10x, some Verbatim that are marked 2-4x, but will appear to burn, but wont actually do anything at 4x, and a Traxdata Audio CDRW marked as 1-2x which will do up to 8x without issues.

Its a wierd topic, I must admit. I dont normally say "try burning slower", but with CDRW's, that legend may have more meaning again :)

Other things to try:

1) Burning faster ;)
    2) Firmware Update on Drive.
    3) Use Nero