1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD RW problem????

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by T.kelly, Jan 2, 2004.

1. T.kelly

T.kelly Member

Hi, I'm new here, great forum, loads of info. My problem is with my CD RW, I have had problems with it in the past and managed to fix it, but this time I'm stumped??? My CD RW won't write or read CD's; but I put the same CD in my DVD rom and it reads it perfect. I have a ATAPI 16x12x40x Cd burner made by Compact DISC Rewiteable/ highspeed. I checked the drive type in the Registry and it is set at the proper type, 2 for my burner and 3 for my DVD rom, but I noticed something funny, when I clicked on the folder called CD BURNING in the registry editor and checked a file called ab CD RECORDER DRIVE in value data it says \?Volume{599e3d51-ec71-11d7-9867-806d6172696f}; I don't know much about this stuff, but the markings at the start of the data, //?, seems kinda of odd?

I also use Easy Cd creator 5, Basic and in the past my Burner would give me fits, but usually uninstalling it and installing it again works for a couple of months, untill it acts up again. This time though it seems it's much more than that.

I hope someone can help me.

Take care.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

ASPI? ASPI, Advanced SCSI Programming Interface, is the source of enough problems with anything even remotely related to an optical drive. Note that Windows2000 and WindowsXP do NOT come with ASPI installed and many users, just starting to do more than basic activities with their drives are encountering problems left and right. ASPI is one of the simplest things to check for -- it just takes one reboot. For more information regarding ASPI see http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm CAUTION NOTE THAT JUST BECAUSE NERO INFOTOOLS OR EVEN ASPICHECK ITSELF SAYS THAT ASPI IS INSTALLED CORRECTLY IT IS NOT INSTALLED CORRECTLY IF THE VERSION NUMBERS DO NOT MATCH UP. ALL FOUR SETS OF NUMBERS HAVE TO BE IDENTICAL. If you are having issues with ASPI and updating to the latest version doesnt help, consider ASPI 4.60 (1021) -- it's the most stable and reliable build of them all. A copy can be grabbed from http://www.angelfire.com/droid/praetorx/files/ASPI460-1021.zip

3. T.kelly

T.kelly Member

Hi, thanks for the info, I needed to update my ASPI, I did and everything seems to be incheck as far as the data, but now when I click on my E:/ drive with a full CD in the RW a blank window appears, or a message box will appear stating that there is no CD in the drive??? I still can't burn anything, when I click on BURN in Easy CD creator 5 Basic, a message box appears saying, " The Disc in the recorder is not the proper media for this project. Insert a blank CD or a CD with enough free space to record the project". Do you think that maybe it's my writer that is dying??? I only had this burner for less than 2 yrs, I hope it's something I can fix. I know it's not the CD's because my DVD rom can read any of the CD's I have. I was thinking of upgrading to a DVD R-writer, maybe it's time, any suggestions on a good model??

'Sometimes Technology is not all it's cracked up to be, when it works you love it, but when it fails, you question it'. - Just a thought.

Take Care.

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. I would reccommend you ditch the Easy CD Creator, its poo

2. Those discs, do they show anything on other computers. The drives, do they read 'normal' (aka commercial) cds okay?

3. Try uninstalling-rebooting the drives?

5. cleft

cleft Member

If you are thinking of updating your dvd writer, could I suggest Lite-on -r burner? I have a dvd reader/writer setup on one machine, it works well but is the factory equipment, an NEC writer and JLMS reader.

Compared to the Lite-on setup they are trash. I am not sure what the forum will think of Lite-on but I have had good luck with it and decent speeds to boot.

6. T.kelly

T.kelly Member

Thanks for the info. I uninstalled Easy CD creator and not much has changed. I still get a blank window when I put in any of my CD's, including commercial CD's. Yes They do read on other computers.

The Discs I last used were ATERRA Media CD-R's 48X, here is the ATIP info............

ATIP: 97m 26s 07f
    Disc Manufacturer: Fornet International Pte Ltd.
    Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g.
    Phthalocyanine)
    Media type: CD-Recordable
    Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
    nominal Capacity: 702.82MB (79m 59s 71f / LBA: 359846)

It's not the media because I used these before my CD RW stopped working and of the ones I burned they can be read in my DVD rom, all of my CD R's and CD RW's can be read on my DVD rom and other computers; I think I need a new CD RW. I heard on some computer show today that a CD RW has a life span of about 2yrs, mine is about 2 yrs old, so it could be finished. Thanks again for responding to my question and if anyone else has used ATERRA Media CD R's I would really appreciate feedback.

Also, is it a better chioce to buy single CD's; I get the feeling on this forum that most prefer to buy in bulk? I have only used Fujji Film from Japan, singles, Maxell Cd's, packet of about 20, which I found to be the worst, only half worked and that was when my CD RW was working good, and Verbatim DataLifePlus, which I use both CD R's and RW's singles; the above mentioned ATERRA were in a spindle of 30 and I can't judge them until I get a new CD RW or fix my existing one.

Take Care.

7. cyberkhan

cyberkhan Guest

My Samsung Combo SM-332 was working fine till recently. The problem I have got is that it doesn't recognize CDRW and doesn't write or format it (using InCD). The format shown is unknown. Burning CDR is normal and working fine. I am using Win XP, Nero 6 Ultra and InCD. Please help!