1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD-RW reads selectively

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by hehenoob, Oct 15, 2003.

1. hehenoob

hehenoob Guest

Hey All!
    I am not much of a hardware person, in fact I hate touching computer internals. I have this strange problem:
    Last night I tried playing a VCD on my ASUS CRW-5224A and I couldnt.
    First of all the explorer doesnt show the existence of any files on the CD ROM.
    Using the command prompt, all I get is : device is not ready.

Worse is that I can run a CD that has MP3-CDA files and even more puzzling (for me) is that I can use the CDR's that were supplied when I assembled the computer.

Autorun is enabled, so using any of the CDR's that run (like audio, sw installs etc), they seem to work fine but any pics(jpgs/gifs/mpeg/avi/.dat) dont seem to be read at all.

The yellow light seems to blink when the read is taking place, so all the cables are in place and like I said, the CD Drive is NOT broken because it can still play audio.

Can someone please help ?

Thanks in advance.

PS. I explained that I aint much of a h/w person, so pls dont flame .

2. smg

smg Regular member

I just replied herenin order to get notified thru my email when anyone answeres your question.

3. hehenoob

hehenoob Guest

So far no answers, :(

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Hehe i would have seen it if it was on the CDR thread hehe... i visit here but not as much as i do CDR :p

In anycase, I have the same burner you got! Make sure you update your firmware to the latest (i think the current is 1.37 ... hehe guess i need to update too... im runnin 1.35). Head on over to http://usa.asus.com/products/optical/crw-5224a/overview.htm

Another problem might be an imnproperly installed or nonexistsent ASPI layer. For more information regarding ASPI see http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm