1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD "Safe" Markers

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by berndu, Apr 7, 2005.

1. berndu

berndu Member

I was wondering if anyone ever had any problems with CD's breaking down and going bad due to using run of the mill markers.

Advertisements for CD Makers claim that most marker contain laquers that are harmful to CD's (or DVD for that matter). Is this true or just a marketing ploy to cell a certain manufacturer's brand of markers?

I am using a "CD Safe" marker, but do not like it since the tip if very wide. This results in clumsy looking letters -- something my kids would write.

Thanks for any info that can passed along.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I have CDs that I made four or five years ago that were labeled with a standard Sharpie and they play just fine. I think it's more of an urban legend that got started when folks used crap media and blamed the markers.

As for DVDs there even less cause to worry since they're made with two protective layers above the reflective layer. Here's an interesting link that shows it (you have to scroll down a bit):

http://www.videointerchange.com/dvd.htm#DVD