1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD WRITER PROBLEM!

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Jay05, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

I can't burn anything!!! I have an internal cd-rw/dvd combo. I use Nero reloaded 6601 and alcohol 120%. I've been having this problem for along time now. My cd writer is called, "QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-241" if that's any help. My computer is a "PCG-FRV25" (Sony) I bought it when it first came out sometimes last year.
    The problem I'm getting is this:
    I burn certain for example, an audio cd or a data cd using a TDK/Verbatim CD-R. It goes through the normal burn process and I even verified the cd, but when it pops out and I inserted back in to double check, it's blank!!! I'm really frustrated, cuz this computer was bought at a foreign country which I can't visit. My parents bought it while they were visiting some friends. So my dilema is that my cd burner won't burn basically about anything. My jump drive works fine and ripping images or ripping music using WMA player works fine as well... (WMA burning is the same.)
    Do you have a solution to this?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

have you tried cleaning the laser lens with a cd/dvd cleaning disk

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Moved.

4. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Well, I've cleaned it about a month ago and was having the same problem... It's just that I can read normal cds that are not burned pretty well, for example I play Warcraft 3 on this computer as well as a whole bunch of other games... The other problem I forgot to mention was when I put in a burned cd and it has scratches, it makes weird noises like its trying hard to read it and then it fails and says there is no cd. so yeah I'm starting to hate vaio....
    I'll try cleaning... thanx...
    any other advice?

5. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

From what I understand you have a "Compaq Presario 2700 QSI SBW-241 CDRW/DVD Combo drive". This type of drive is known to give problems and is known to fail during burning process.

I have read that HP also uses this type of combo drive it also has issues (commonly faulty dvd drive) QSI SBW-241 was not modified to work with high speed discs, try burning between 1-10x

Just curious...what other burning applications do you have? maybe one is conflicting with another

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  6. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Okay first is first, the burning programs I use are Nero Reloaded 6601, Alcohol 120%, and Windows Media Player (For audio) I hope non of these programs conflict each other.
    Here is the URL for my computer description...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009EEIS/102-5285779-6828930?v=glance

or just type PCG-FV25 Vaio on google and you'll get awhole bunch of descriptions. :)

there's a brief one on my signiture and it definitely ain't a compaq, it's a Sony Vaio. Bought it when it first came out. I love it though, but I really wished this cd writing thing was fixed... T T
    Anyways where was I...oh... it says QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-241 on the drive when I check the hardware.
    I swear like a month ago it worked because I had to back up all my music wma files to a verbatim blank cd which I believe did it with high speed, but I guess my rom has gone crazy or something. I mean it rips music data, and images perfectly with no trouble but burning is really getting into a problem cuz it works and then not works and works and...frustration!!!
    I'll try burning with a slower speed...I'll tell you what my results are asap! Anyother advice would be VERY encouraging...
    I'm so glad there's site like this, there's always advice after advice... THANK YOU!

7. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

your drive is a Compaq not the notebook.

As I said, burn at a slower speed, between 1-10x

Post back and give an update.

8. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Okay I have some bad news... I've tried writing at 4X and 8X through Nero but it was a fail... It's the same problem then after that I tried to burn some music files that I had on my computer with windows media player but it's doing the same thing... It's getting on my nerves!!! Is there anything else that I could do? I mean I love this computer, but the burner is just on the down side. What should I do... I think I"ll give sony a call... The problem is that my parents bought this while they were in another country....

9. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Sorry to hear that -Jay05- :( you could also try to find a firmware and see if this doesn't help but its more a pain in the ass than its worth.

Call Sony and see what they could do, who knows maybe its still under manufacture warranty, but I think it has to be within a year of the purchase date.

Good luck and if you can...post back and give an update, im curious as to where this go's

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  10. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Hey, I've got a response. I'm going to post this up so you can read it. I'm not good with computers but this is a response from a support forum site. Here it is:
    ----------------
    The reason why many people are having problems with this burner is do to the fact that they are using the wrong CDs. QSI, which is a sub-company developped by Lucent Technologies, created combo drives that worked with only certain cd-r discs. The reason for the lack of compatibility is due primarily to the economy and business politics. QSI did not purchase the licence to conform compatibility with most cd-r discs. Even though they do not have the license, they do have the compatibility with all cd-rw discs and most DVD-R discs. Below are the discs that work and the discs that do not work, or have problems reading when using the QSI SBW-241 drive. Certain discs from certain manufacturers work better than others. Some work so well that they allow the drive to write at its MAX speed of 24x.

Working CDs and DVDs (Excellent Quality and Speed usage):

1. Verbatim Data Life Plus (AZO and Super AZO brand CD-R)
    2. All Sony Brand CD-R
    3. HP CD-R
    4. Ricoh Platinum CD-R
    5. All Kodak CD-R
    6. FujiFilm CD-R
    7. Toshiba CD-R
    8. All CD-RW discs
    9. All DVD-R discs
    10. All DVD-RW discs

Does NOT WORK!!!! (Burn problems and read problems):

1. Maxell CD-R
    2. Memorex CD-R
    3. SmartBuy CD-R
    4. Plextor CD-R
    5. Minor Name CD-R
    6. No Name CD-R
    7. All DVD+-R dics
    8. All DVD-RAM discs

If a certain brand or type of disc is not listed above, then it has not been tested on this drive. You may wish to test it yourself or use one of those discs listed in the Working CDs and DVDs section mentioned. For optimal performance including the usage of the full 24x speed of this drive use: Verbatim Super AZO CD-R
    or Sony Brand discs or any CD-RW disc.

Is this accurate?

11. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Here's more on what he said
    ---------------------------------------------
    This message concerns all who have a problem with the QSI SBW-241, below are solutions and procedures to making the drive work properly. Follow each step exactly.

STEP 1: Conflicting Programs

The first step that must be done, is to remove all conflicting burning applications on your computer, leaving only the burning application that you use most often. If you use 2 or more burning applications, delete all but the one that you use most often. For example, say that you have both NERO and Easy CD Creator installed on your PC. Remove the program that you use the least, say Easy CD, and keep ONLY the program you use frequently. Even the built-in recorder for Windows XP must be disabled. To disable the Windows XP built-in recording software, right-click your cd drive icon in My Computer and select properties from the pop-up menu, go to the tab labelled Recording and uncheck the box labelled "Enable CD Recording on this Drive." That will disable the built-in software allowing your most used CD Burning application to function correctly.

STEP 2: Media Types

The QSI SBW-241 is NOT compatible with high speed media (1-48x, 1-52x), this means that you must use media that is designed at low speeds (1-16x). Even though these media are certified only for a max write speed of 16x, they can still be written to by the recorder at a speed of 24x!!! Why does the QSI SBW-241 not write to high speed media? It is because when the drive was manufactured the only cd-r out were those with speeds of 1-16x. The drive was designed using the discs, the 1-48x and 1-52x cd-rs came much later.

STEP 3: Firmware

Finally it is essential to download the correct firmware for your drive. Be cautioned that even though Sony and HP both use the QSI SBW-241, it does not mean that they both use the same firmware. In fact Sony uses firmware for the drive of type VXYY(where the Y is a number) and HP uses the VHYY type firmware. They are different because both systems are different and so the firmware must correspond to the correct system. Using a VXYY type firmware on a HP or Compaq computer can cause unpredictable results. Below are the working firmware for both computer systems:

Brand Firmware Revision

HP / Compaq VH05 (VH04 is the original that comes with the drive and only allows the drive to use 1-16x cd-r media)

Sony VX09

These firmware updates allow one to use high speed media on these drives. If you can not find your system specific firmware, then download the firmware at http://www.qsinc.com.tw/ but note that this firmware update (VS05) is a general firmware update, it is for the base model, the firmware may not be compatible with your system or operating system (Windows XP/ 2000/ 98/ ME). In fact upgrading your firmware to a general firmware no designed especially for your PC is dangerous and can render your drive useless.

What should I do?
    I've realized today that I could burn on a Rewritable disc... I"m going to try buying some slow 16X cd's like Sony or something.
    You're always a big helP! Thanx!

12. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

THere's alittle bit more to read...
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    If the cd's continue to burn with errors then you need to use a CD-r media of speed 1-16x. The QSI (Quanta Storage INC.) SBW-241 was designed using these low speed media but will still write at 24x on these CD-Rs. The reason why so many people are getting errors is because the QSI SBW-241 was not modified to work with high speed discs, that is why cd-rw discs work because they have a speed of 1-10x.

Try Ricoh 1-8x discs, they work perfectly on the QSI SBW-241 and can be written at 24x MAX too!!!!!

I think that's it....
    so what's your advice? I'm looking up firmware right now....I think that' my last option as my cdrw/dvd rom cannot burn cd's higher than 16X...

13. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Hey, I think it has to do with doing an update... I found a site at sony but I can't download it for some reason it's ftp://.... Here's the site...
    ftp://ftp.ita.sel.sony.com/ccpg/pc/QS-4VS040802HG03US.EXE
    It's not working for me...what should I do?

14. ddp

it came up on mine saying do you want to download file so i said yes, downloaded 760kb file just in case you need it

15. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

COuld you possibly send that file to me through email attachment? Also the whole long message above... do you think it's right? my email is XXXXXXXXXXXXX@hotmail.com (Don't spam me PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) so please send it to me ASAP.... Thanx for all your help and time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  16. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

I hope this isn't a problem...I'm really having difficulty download from ftp...what could be the cause I use a 52k modem...

17. ddp

email sent at 12.10pm today, also don't post email address as mods give you slap on wrist & you might get more spam. do a pm(private message) righthand side of replies

18. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Okay I just editted my message...I'll PM in the future... thanx alot!

19. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Hey David, could you download one more update for me? it's small 808kb... here's the url...

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software4/COL9113/ob-24494-1/SP28116.exe

The one you sent me didn't work but I think this'll work cuz the one you sent me before updated my cdrw/dvd from VH03 to VH04....

The URL I entered about updates to VH07 which allows me to burn at high speed here's the original site...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=308278&lang=en&cc=us&softwareitem=ob-24494-1

Please send it to the first email address...
    I"ll PM the address just in case...
    Thanx again for your help and time. :)

20. foxyjo

foxyjo Member

Hi guys

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm desperate for help with a very similar situation to Jay05.

I've been using some bog-standard CDRs from a PC store (their own make, can't remember what speed they were, but probably up to 10x) - the last CDR I burned was fine, and I've just tried burning a CD using my new Memorex CDRs (up to 52x speed). After variously recognising the CDR was in the drive and then saying it WASN'T (!), WMP then refused to burn a CDR (thereby ruining it) - it also gave me a message saying I should change the write speed. Eventually I found how to do that, and chose 4x, because I have no idea what the drive's maximum write speed is.
    Can anyone tell me how to find out what speed it burns up to, please? The original bumf from when I purchased the laptop (HP ominbook xe4500) doesn't tell me what speed the drive is, but I think it might be a max RW speed of 4x or 8x. The only options available in the recording speed box/tab are 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x and 'Fastest'. It's a Matshita UJDA730 DVD/CDRW combo drive, by the way.

I was always under the impression that I can use any speed CDRs, as long as the value is higher than my drive's write speed, but after reading this thread, I think I'm right in understanding that the computer isn't up to the job of burning to a 52x disc - is that correct?

Apologies again for crashing in, but I thought it might be better than filling the board up with similar stuff.