1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD WRITER PROBLEM!

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Jay05, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Oh man, you've come to the right thread...
    What burning utility do you use? If you use Nero just go to "get system info" and it will tell you what speed it can read and write. Mine is a QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-241 and it's a mess. I have to get all these updates to allow my burner to burn high speed cd-r... the cheesy thing about my drive is that it can't read alot of brand name cd-r's the names above are the ones that can burn and can't... I"m still waiting for the send update (2nd ftp file from David, he should be a mod...)

David, I haven't gotten the second ftp update file. I use outlook to check my mail, but it shouldn't be full cuz that's like the only mail I had in the inbox...I deleted some just in case... :)
    Anyways I"ll stay in touch... thanx again~

2. foxyjo

foxyjo Member

Uhhh...burning utility? I honestly don't know - I've always burned CDs from Windows Media Player, so I'm not sure. Oh wait, I think there's something called Veritas on here, but don't know if it's connected!
    I DID check the system info!! But still couldn't find anything relevant. The reason I also posted on here was because I've seen the QSI mentioned on HP's drivers/support page (http://h200003.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/
    DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=83759&locale=en_US
    &taskId=135&prodSeriesId=83757&prodTypeId=321957&sw
    EnvOID=228), so I thought our problems must be related.
    Anyhow, I'm gonna see if I can find some 1-10x or 1-24x CDRs, and hope that's all that needs fixing!!
    Bye for now guys...

3. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Hey, is your cdrw/dvd a QSI as well? go check your hardware name... We might have the same problem if your hardware is called "QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-241" or 242 you might have to go to HP's support page and put in your model and serial number then go to drivers update and you should find all the updates for your computers. That's how I did it with my SONY VAIO. man there was alot of updates...now I know why some of my games weren't working cuz of da graphic card. I found an update for that which is like 20 MB... so I"ll have to get those later...
    Anyways hope this helpd.. I know I babbled a bit... sry.

4. foxyjo

foxyjo Member

It's a Matshita UJDA730 DVD/CDRW combo drive, and I've tried the updates page but I already have them all :(

5. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

If it is firmware that you're trying to reflash then go here to the firmware page. here's the url:

http://forum.rpc1.org/index.php?sid=6c81eb5c9e6d70f656b7c065d8892257

And then look for you cdrw/dvd... but you better have the right model and version when you reflash your drive!

Hoped this helped. If you're not an advanced user then don't do this, but get help. Because reflashing can cause your drive to malfuncation permeanently!

Hoped this helped...

6. foxyjo

foxyjo Member

Thanks for the flashing info. I'm not very experienced with this kind of thing, and I don't want an unusable drive, so I'll have to leave it for now as I don't have anyone to provide expert help with it all.
    I've since tried to use slower discs again, but now WMP says that the tracks I'm trying to burn won't fit (even when I try and burn just ONE track!). It's also telling me to insert a blank disc when there's one already in the drive, so I don't know what's gone wrong now :(
    Hopefully it will wake up one day and decide to work properly.
    Thanks again!

7. andrew544

andrew544 Member

To anyone with qsi sbw-241 problems

My name is Andrew Jayola, I'm an engineer at LG Electronics and was the one who posted previous threads at various sites under the name daEngineer.

This drive has caused people some considerable headaches due to its lack of out-of-the-box compatibility, but whether your using a sony, hp, or any other drive for that matter, updating the firmware to VH07 is the solution. This firmware update can be found at www.hp.com under support and drivers. Search VH07 or qsi sbw-241 from HP and download and install the firmware, it is guaranteed to work. I apologize for not posting this up sooner.

8. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Hey Andrew thanx for the info. I reflashed my cd writer qsi sbw 241 to .........VH04 -----> VH07.... and I'm still getting alot of problems with it. I will only write on certain cds. Like cdrs such as sony, toshiba, lg, Fugifilm... weird thing is when I burn an audio cd, and the cd pops out and I put it back in, it's blank. But here's the weird thing. I put it into a cd player and it works. Also why does my cd drive whine so much. The cd's not even scratched it's whining like he!!. I mean it's like making repeated sounds. It's really frustrating cuz I've networked with my friend and he's works fine. Also sometimes the cd's not even recognized.
    I'm glad that you've posted a reply to this solution. I'm glad that there's a prof at afterdawn....
    Hope there is a solution to this... My computer is a PCG-FRV25 (Sony) if you were wondering...

9. andrew544

andrew544 Member

I'm sorry that the VH07 did not work Jay05. I will definitely consult HP and Quanta Storage Inc.(QSI) about the problem and hopefully resolve the issue soon. Too many people have been affected by this which means that these drives were defective upon manufacturing. QSI should be held responsible since it may be a useless drive altogether and not just a firmware or CD problem.
    Try not to worry as I am in the midst of getting this problem solved.

Andrew Jayola
    SR. Sys Engineer
    LG Electronics

10. andrew544

andrew544 Member

I have more info on the problem, try these steps as it may help make your sbw-241 drive work:

1. Get the program RecordNow 4.5, this drive is compatible with this software. The drive has shown problems with EasyCD and Nero but this program seems to be best.

2. Turn off windows based burner. You can do this by right-clicking the drive icon in my computer then navigate to the Recording tab and deselect "Enable CD recording on this drive".

These steps should help and if not more info is on the way.

11. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

I'll try downloading that. I hope it fixes or I hope QSI does something about it cuz I really feel ripped off. I mean I first thought it was Sony, but I realized that the maker of the cd rom was QSI, so they better do something about it cuz my warrenty date has passed because I dont' live in the states anymore as I bought it there....

Thanx though for your help....

12. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

So any news from QSI? I'm going to be in the states in about 5 months.

13. mhtnyc

mhtnyc Guest

Add another person to the list. I have a Medion laptop with the SBW 241. I've been having problems as well. I upgraded the firmware to VH07. I've attempted to burn Silver Circle 1x-52x. The drive writes but doesn't read them (they work in another machine). I've burned these disks in the other machine at 2x, and this one still won't read. I dug out an old CD that I had burned a while back and that one works. Unfortunately, there are no markings on the disk that can tell me anything about it. I've been trying to get this laptop to boot from CD-ROM, but it has only worked with the rescue dick that came with the laptop, and the above mentioned old CD.

Now, it doesn't seem to read disks that it had previously been able to read. If anyone can come up with something, I'd appreciate it!

14. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Can all of you guys write QSI. I'l do the same on the situation. I'm hoping that they would give a replacement or something that would be psositive to us.

15. zoegirl27

zoegirl27 Member

Hey, I have the SAME problem..well not exact same, but I have a Sony PCG-FRV25 and the same CD writer drive. It's giving me problems. I'll burn an audio disc with Windows Media player and it'll burn the first 3 but the rest of the tracks won't work. Plus, all the tracks that I do burn are all crackly. I don't know if changing the CD discs will work, I'll try it again because definitely the ones that I'm using now, Hypermedia, don't work. It hasn't happened until now, and I've tried talking to Sony, but they just tell me to reinstall the drivers and update them. Help!

16. mhtnyc

mhtnyc Guest

My drive works fine again. I feel so stupid. Cleaning the lens did the trick. Oh well..at least I have updated firmware now :-/

17. DJTonyMon

DJTonyMon Member

My friend and I both have Sony FRV25's and have the same exact problem (blank disc?, cracking in audio, bad burned cds)... I would love for Sony or the manufacturer of the disk drive to do something so if there is anything I can do let me know, i'll keep checkin the post...

Jay05, I have a lot of other gripes with the Vaio besides the crappy writer (low battery life, integrated video card not letting me play any games, very slow CPU)... how do you manage to play games like WC3 on this laptop?

18. tyson457

tyson457 Member

hey for some reason everytime i burn a movie it comes out upside down when i play it on my dvd player can anyone tell me why

19. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@ tyson457

You're question is completely unrelated to the thread topic. Feel free to post your question in our DVD for Newbies forum :)

20. hotwell

hotwell Member

i have pcg-frv25, i have the same problem with my cdrw/dvd combo(QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-241). it has the reading and writing problem. even tho after I updated the lastest driver VH07, it still didn't help. we should all complain to QSI company for defected product