1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cda files

Discussion in 'Audio' started by urbantus, Sep 1, 2004.

1. urbantus

urbantus Guest

Some time ago I got a few songs from a p2p network in mp3 format [mostly 192 bit rate]
    I then burnt these to a cd using nero 6

this resulted in a cd full of cda files

Is it possible to put these back into original mp3 format

could these then be adapted to give vbr mp3s in any way

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

you can easily rip the audio cd back to mp3 using either EAC or CDex. however, re-encoding an already decompressed mp3 file will seriously reduce its quality.

3. nick2005

nick2005 Regular member

You can always record the files back to mp3 format. A good program for this is Super mp3 recorder. You can download it here:

Super MP3 Recorder
    http://www.supermp3recorder.com/

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

um, not really considering that costs money, and EAC is the best audio ripper out there, and its FREE

5. nick2005

nick2005 Regular member

Ok, use EAC, whatever you would like. I'm sorry if I offended you in anyway by this program. You seem pretty mad. Note the all caps in free which you probably shouldn't use according to forum rules.

6. nick2005

nick2005 Regular member

Also, you can use a free trial of Super MP3 Recorder.

7. djscoop

djscoop Active member

no, I'm not mad, I just don't see the point in paying for a program that might work okay, when the best one out there is free. but hey, if people have the money to pay for it, then be my guest. whats with the no caps rule? you can't emphasize a word in a sentence???

8. nick2005

nick2005 Regular member

Anyway, whichever program you feel like using, Urbantus, you can use it.

9. urbantus

urbantus Guest

Im going to stick with EAC
    This is a great programme

Can some one explain the following

I get a song in mp3 format 192 bitrate
    I burn it onto a cd in cda format using Nero 6

Is there a loss of quality in doing that

How do I use EAC to turn the cda file back into mp3

Will this be in the original mp3 format ie 192 bitrate

Or can I specify VBR using --alt-preset standard %s %d

Or am I stuck with the original mp3 format

Is there a way to convert cda files stored on my pc into mp3

Cannot do this with EAC

Thx

10. djscoop

djscoop Active member

Yes, EAC is the best program for this stuff.

the only thing EAC does is convert audio cd (cda files) into mp3 or wav. isn't that what you wanted to do? if you had mp3s, burnt them to audio CDs with nero, now you want to convert that audio CD back to mp3, you just follow the guide for installing EAC, located here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/mydeneaclame.cfm

These mp3s will not be as good of quality as your origianl mp3 files or your audio CD. its like making a copy of a copy of a VHS tape...loss of quality every time. This happens because you took an encoded file, decoded it to wav (audio cd) and now you want to recode it back to mp3. it will probably sound okay, but not great. I would suggest using the guide listed above, which specifies using lame encoder and VBR setting.

11. EricFerk

EricFerk Member

Hello, I have a question. I received some e-mail from a friend and he attached cda files to them. When I open them- my media player opens but nothing plays. Can I get them to play? Also- I just bought mp3maker software to record streaming audio off the internet, but when I do the songs echo about four times and there is a lot of distortion. is it my sound card or what? Anyone with any ideas, or if you can point me to a place to find out I' appreciate it.

12. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Hi guys,
    Lemme just review some stuff for the NooBs...
    There's a fine line between CDA files and WAV files.
    They are really the same thing, assuming the WAV is made to the 'Redbook' CD audio standard (16 bit samples PCM @ 44.1KHz)
    This is the recording-quality audio standard.
    The strict definition of 'ripping' a CD is copying the CDA to your harddisk in WAV format; there is zero loss of quality.
    An MP3 is made from the WAV, once CDex has copied the CDA on the Compact Disk to your HD.
    If you then DJ yourself a bunch of WAVs in whatever way pleases you, you can burn a custom CD.
    An MP3 is a heavily compressed WAV that has less size because it has less data, due to 'lossy' codec
    ie. LAME or whatever.
    You don't want to make CDs from MP3s if you can help it - the CDs will have the poor quality of the MP3 combined with the large filesize of the WAV
    (the worst of both worlds).
    But if you DO that, for gawdsake don't try to once again compress the audio back down to MP3 ;-(
    There is already almost nothing left of the original fidelity, and then you will run the lossy codec on the audio a second time... yeesh.
    @ EricFerk
    CDA is about 10MB for a one minute clip of audio,
    obviously a 4-5 minute song will be 40-50MB.
    That is why MP3 compressed audio was invented: it is impractical (not to mention unconscionable) to send those huge files around the internet.
    It's like EMailing a BMP instead of a JPEG, you know?
    It's needlessly ten times bigger.
    At least WAVs would be easy to playback, but sending CDA files is truly clueless (no offense).
    Speaking theoretically I mean, without malice, it is without clue :)
    If guys have broadband and want to send CD-quality audio, for burning or whatever, by all means send WAVs.
    MP3s travel a lot better though, but you cannot de-compress them into a CD again, with the quality of the original WAV.

I use capitals a lot, instead of using [bold]bold[/bold] like I'm s'posed to, because I'm lazy.
    I don't get the feeling he was yellin' at you though Nick - he was just enhancing that most important word (one of my favourite words, LoL :)

Regards

13. EricFerk

EricFerk Member

Hey, thanks. I apprciate you passing on knowledge!