1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cdr pens dvd marking on discs

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by sorrow93, Jan 6, 2007.

1. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

I used to be foolish enough to write/label my cdr's with permanent artline markers until I was informed of the possible damage from the chemicals now I use only cd/dvd markers but someone told me they heard even these "safe" oil based pens can do similar damage
    is there any truth to this?
    I guess the main thing is if we have a special/important disc don't write on it at all?
    would it be safe to write around the center clear plastic rather than risk the data surface (from the other side)
    ?

2. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Some tests indicate that even the "safe" markers will cause damage to CD-R upper surfaces when tested in environmental chambers at high heat and humidity. Marking the clear plastic area will have no effect. The damage is to the lacquer cover layer that sits on top of the silver alloy. The clear area is just polycarbonate that is impervious to the marker chemicals.

3. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

thankyou JoeRyan for that info.
    a friend said permanent marked cdr's are "ticking timebombs" because they might be okay for a while and Bamm. gone.
    I think I'll avoid all marking of the most crucial/important discs.
    but thanks for the info on the clear plastic area.

4. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

So Joe, do you think I've been duped into paying higher prices for the speciality cd/dvd markers? I've wondered that myself. I do have both types and I took the sniff test....regular Sharpies can knock your head off. I've found the Staedtler brand cd/dvd markers to have little or no solvent smell, but they are much harder to find. I use ultra fine, covers less surface.

5. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

@mackdl
    just might jump in I think the extra charge is worth it, a little peace of mind I have one of those Staedtler cd/dvd markers myself actually they would be my choice of the ten or so I own.
    I have some really old TDK thick cdr-markers but the ink is unreliable on some discs looks diluted the Staedtler is just like a normal marker doesn't do this.