1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CDR tracks have small skips

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by CurtM, Jun 19, 2002.

1. CurtM

CurtM Member

When burning a certain set of audio WAV files to cd (with Easy CD Creator), I get some tracks with small skips in the music. When I re-burn, I get skips in different tracks in different places. Checking the mp3 files and the WAV files before I burn the cd, they sound just fine - no skips or anything else going on.
    This problem ONLY happens with this particular set of audio files. I'm burning other audio files just fine as well as copying discs with Direct CD.
    I don't know of any way to "analyze" the source mp3's.
    Any ideas appreciated.

2. Pio2001

Pio2001 Moderator Staff Member

Maybe your files are not 44.1 kHz 16 bits stereo.
    Also, try to read twice the same copy. If the skips are not in the same place, it's a reading problem (likely), not a burning problem.

3. CurtM

CurtM Member

I'll check the bitrate but I'm sure its 44.1.
    I don't understand; try to read twice the same copy?

4. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

5. Pio2001

Pio2001 Moderator Staff Member

Yes, how do you know it skips ? Listening in the hifi ? In the computer ? In the computer with digital reading ? Ripping again and listening to the wavs ?

Maybe it's the reading that skips, not the burning.

6. CurtM

CurtM Member

It skips in the computer and the car cd player. Don't know about my home cd player. I'll check tonight. (I'm in Calif.)
    Thanks for the help so far. I'll download Feurio and EncSpot and give them a try.
    I'm using Easy CD Creator version 3.xx something. (I'm not at home right now so can't check)

7. CurtM

CurtM Member

Tonight I ran EncSpot on my mp3 files. In attempting to read the files, EncSpot locked up and I had to reboot my computer (3 times then I gave up). There is something about those files that isn't right but since I can't get EncSpot to read them, I don't know what it is.
    WinAmp will play them and shows them to be 44 khz files, 192 kbps.
    Any thoughts?

8. CurtM

CurtM Member

OK, I got EncSpot to work. The two files that skip have bitrates of 181 and 182 and both have one sync error(?). The rest of the files are 192. They all have Xing headers - whatever that is.

9. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Sync errors = errors in MP3 files and a propable cause of the skipping. For my personal experience, the Feurio! handles MP3s with errors very well and has produced results with no audible skipping.

10. CurtM

CurtM Member

Would it do any good to change the bitrates from 181/182 to 192 and then re-burn?
    I'll try Feurio tonight although I have to check first for compatibility with my HP 8100i cd-writer.