1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CECT A988+ SUNCOM WAP Setup...

Discussion in 'General mobile discussion' started by macmante, Jan 18, 2008.

1. macmante

macmante Member

Hi folks! I have a Cect A988+ and SUNCOM. I have not been able to get the WAP set up on it. At first I was getting CONNECTING... then PROCESSING DATA... then SERVER BUSY. I changed settings after looking at someone who wrote in to howard... (I think) and now I get Connecting... Connection failed.

Things listed under "Edit active services" are ---
    Setting Name ----> iNet
    Homepage -------> wsp://mobileinternet
    Primary Proxy ----> 066.150.237.195
    BEARER SETTINGS ....
    GPRS Access Point --> mobileinternet
    Authentication ------> Normal
    User Name ----------> WAP
    Password -----------> WAP (won't let me remove this)

Anybody have ideas? I'm stumped. The phone works great, just wish I could get the WAP working. Thanks for any help from out there!
    Macmante in SC

2. macmante

macmante Member

In retrospect I would not buy this particular phone again. The manual and box clearly show Windows Mobile running on it, which is a complete and TOTAL deception on CECT's part. You cannot add apps, it does not sport JAVA, there is NO technical support from the maker, you are stuck with NO MAPS, no way to get them for your area, and ridiculous CHINA AREA CODES. The OS is unknown and to date nobody knows how to hack it to make it better. A phone, yes. A media player, yes. Some "on-liners" say there is a CD-ROM with it offering alternate themes (which would be nice) but mine did not come with any such thing.

On a previous message for assistance on this forum I have so far received no responses leading me to believe that NOBODY reads it or knows anything about this phone. Engineering codes that I've found DO NOT work on this phone. It appears to be "locked-in-time" just as it comes and speaking of time, the date is shown in a different format than the usual Month/Day/Year. Chinese gramitical errors abound, the ICON reading MAP should read MAPS (plural) and books on it are in Chinese even when your language is set to English.

If you MUST have a phone of this type get the P168+ with the slide unlock function. It looks more Apple-like in ICON appearance, which is the whole idea to start with. Hello? CECT? are you listenting?
    If I manage to break into the A988 firmware (and make any sense out of it) I will change it for the better, rest assured. Just as it is best to get a REAL iPod, you should seriously consider getting a REAL iPhone which will surely be open to other networks than AT&T later.

Macmante

3. philidox

philidox Member

Dude you said it right on the money!!! I was wondering if anyone else was having the same issues especially the whole chinese thing. Could you please tell me how you cracked the firmware. I have no idea how to add maps, stream video, or receive mms messages. I'm using tmobile by the way and I finally got the internet to work on the phone and sms messages worked innately(thank god!). I figured out how to get mp3's, gp3's, and mp4's on the phone and let me tell you it's f**ckin weired. I had to make sure that the video&audio file was drag n drop from a ntfs formatted hard drive??? This phone had a lot of potentail but CECT messed it up with its crappy firmware and lack of integration into the U.S cellular network. I need to either change or upgrade the firmware. I'd love nothing more than to put Ubuntu Mobile on this phone! Please tell me how to do what you did, this thing needs a firmware change!!!

4. macmante

macmante Member

Unfortunately I have not had much time to break into the firmware but I plan on trying when I get a chance. It sounds like you are further ahead than me, I never managed to get the Internet working. I get messages of a generic type from time to time.
    I could use your knowledge! Could you send me the settings you used to get the WAP working? You can email me directly if you wish at:
    tommyelliott59@hotmail.com

Thanks!
    MACMANTE

5. philidox

philidox Member

Man I gotta go to the field, military stuff, I'll make a well organized tutorial when I get back Sunday. I'll even make a youtube video for this phone. cya then

6. whlsper

whlsper Member

ok either im an idiot or this phone is wierd casue i cant find a sim card that works in it. any suggestions? or after you put an activated sim card in there is there anything special you have to do? any help please.

7. macmante

macmante Member

No, there is nothing special you need to do in order to get the phone to see the SIM card. Immediately after the "loading screen" it should read "Sim Card Initialize". Then it should (after a few seconds) show the service provider name in the center of the screen (mine reads SUNCOM).

The SIM card should be installed correctly though, with the sheared-off corner on the upper left of the SIM slot, and it's gold contacts facing DOWN.

8. whlsper

whlsper Member

alright thank you, yeah the lady at the AT&T kiosk couldnt get it to work, so i didnt know what was upwith it, however i just baught a go phone and im using its sim card right now works with no problems, well for making calls and text messages, the net doesnt work, and i have tried sending a pic message yet, but thank you. how do you change the ringer on this phone, or anything like that,,, this thing is kinda wierd and hard to figure out. lol.

9. macmante

macmante Member

I finally got the WAP settings for Suncom! A very nice lady emailed me with them. My CECT A988 won't work however since it doesn't let you enter a Primary Proxy Port number. I will share the info here though in the hope that I can help out someone who needs the Suncom settings. Here they are:

"Settings Name" Enter "iNet"

"Homepage" Enter http://mobileinternet

"Proxies" Select "Enable"

"Primary Proxy" Enter "066.150.237.195" for the proxy address

Enter "8080" for the Port #

"Data Bearer" Select "GPRS"

"Bearer Settings" Select "GPRS Access Point" type in
    "mobileinternet"

Select "Authentication Type" Select "Normal"

Select "Login Type" Select "Automatic"

User Name and Password are "<blank>"

Good luck!

Macmante

10. cuttery

cuttery Member

hello to somebody i'm having a hard time trying to set up wap on a988 this part for the port "8080" can you please help me

11. macmante

macmante Member

I'm afraid there is no hope for the A988+. I got rid of mine. If yours is new, I urge you to send it back and get the CECT S688 instead.

I have this one now and like it much much better. The batteries last far far longer (days) compared to the inefficient power-hungry A988+. The S688 has a place to enter the port number whereas the A988 doesn't. Getting WAP to work on the A988 is futile.

I wish I had better news than that, but the truth is the truth.

12. cuttery

cuttery Member

thank you i think that's what were going to do

13. cuttery

cuttery Member

hi macmante our phone did finally connected to the internet we're going to continue try working with them

14. ANTMASS

ANTMASS Member

Could you send me the settings you used to get the WAP working? You can email me directly if you wish at: anthonymassie31@yahoo.com
    thanks !!

15. macmante

macmante Member

ANTMASS,

You didn't say which phone you had. Both the A988+ and the S688 were discussed in this thread.

I'm hoping you're going to say you have the S688. You did not say who your service provider is either.

Mine is SUNCOM (now fully owned by T-Mobile since April). It wasn't easy wringing the web setup out of SUNCOM, but I did it. The phone support at SUNCOM was useless. They told me I had an unsupported phone and that they could not help me. I had to e-mail their customer service, explain, and butt kissed my way into getting at what I wanted.

Is it the actual setup info you seek or guidance through the myriad of menus necessary to configure it for the web?

16. ANTMASS

ANTMASS Member

yeah i have the cect a988 and my service provider is by t-mobile but what did you have to do to get the web to work?

17. macmante

macmante Member

Please re-read the above posts. I stated that I NEVER DID get the A988 to work on the web. There is no place to enter a port number so the point is moot. I recommend you sell yours and get the S688. I did and couldn't be happier.

18. rosieluke

rosieluke Member

I have bought the S688 and cannot get the WAP to work - it just says connection failed. My provider is 02 - any ideas?