1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ch0ru5 MMDS Laois Beginner guide?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by feckthis, Dec 23, 2009.

1. feckthis

feckthis Member

Hi, I am looking into this for my parents. They are based just outside Porlaoise(Mountrath side) Where is the local transmitter?. Will they be close enough? I found the followng online....
    Link

It seesm like it will do everything I need. Basically what I want to know though is if this is all I will need. Obviously I will need cable(is this coax?) Also, will this be possible to set up in the attic or will it need to go on the chimney(not the best with heights)? They have a bungalow so maybe the height factor will come into play? What is the skinny on if/when Cjh0ru5 will change the way the broadcast the MMDS? Is my new setup likely to become obselete soon? Does the box in the link provided auto update with new keys or would it need to be done manually? if so, do I need a machine with a serial port? I have loads of questions, basically, if there is someone kind enough to provide a beginners/idiots guide to this, I would really appreciate it.

2. piopat

piopat Active member

before you buy any equipment you need to look at the threads concerning nagra3 encryption changes.near the top of the screen towards the middle you will see (search afterdawn forums)and to the right of it a box , type in nagra3 and click go, and you can read a lot about it or go to list of updated threads. no one knows who long mmds will last, maybe a few days maybe a few weeks but i would say not much longer. the equipment on the link would work ok for you but as i say it most likely wont work for much longer.will your parents want a lot of tv channels why not get them a free to air satellite dish and reciever(they come pretty cheap).no need to worry about updating software or codes and no bills.

3. feckthis

feckthis Member

Thanks for the reply. Didn't know that. They were (in particular my Dad) looking for the sports and my Mam, the flicks. So the FTA is ok but not what they were after. I'll look into it more so. Thanks for the info.

4. glog

glog Member

Piopat,

"maybe a few days maybe a few weeks but i would say not much longer."

Interested to know what you base this theory on ?