1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

change aspect ratio of vcd mpeg

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by JJS, Jul 13, 2003.

1. JJS

JJS Member

I have a few mpegs of a mini-series shown on HBO at some point that are encoded very oddly. If I play them on my computer with windows media player, they play 4:3 but are stretched vertically (indicating 16:9 to me). They were encoded with small bars at the top and bottom but not large enough to preserve the 16:9 aspect ratio.

If I open the files in Zoom Player and manually set the aspect ratio to 16:9 they look perfect. Do mpeg files have "flags" or whatnot that specify aspect ratio or anything like that (and what program would adjust this for me)? Failing that, is there any way to enlarge the bars at the top and bottom so that it forces the 16:9 letterboxing?

I'd really rather not re-encode the whole thing as the original encoding is VERY nice as far as VCD's go.

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Windows media player might do that anytime anyway, so what you need to do is try the files in WinDVD that will give you the best idea of whether everything is ok or screwed!

3. JJS

JJS Member

4. Dela

ouch, did u encode these files urself?

5. JJS

JJS Member

I wish I did so I could have done it right but its some recording of Band of Brothers shown on HBO at some point. No idea who originally made them though.

6. Dela

hmmm ok then, there isnt much you can do without re-encoding!