1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change booktype on finalized DVD+RW?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cyclist, Sep 25, 2004.

1. cyclist

cyclist Member

I have a Sony DRU700A (repackaged LiteOn 832S). I have upgraded the firmware to allow bitsetting (http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html) and, indeed, the burner is now capable of doing that.

However, I can not for the life of me figure out how to change a DVD+RW disc that I have already burned. Everything I read says it is possible, but I can not figure out how to do it.

I have tried LiteOn's booktype utility and DVDInfoPro, but all I can get them to do is set the *drive* to burn all future discs that way.

I use Nero 6.3.1.25.

(I have an older LiteOn DVD-ROM drive that will not read +RW discs.)

I want to change a disc that I have already burned (it's a +RW, so it should work).

I have seen posts saying it is possible. Can someone please explain how I do that?

Thank you,
    Chuck

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Cyclist,
    I think you have to set booktype prior to the burn (I could be wrong). I booktype all my +r media to dvd-rom with omnipatcher f/w mod tool for my litey. You might pm ScubaPete as I'm sure he would know. Let us know if you can.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I don't know exactly what you're talking about unless you're trying to go from a DVD RW to a DVD ROM I'm not aware it can be done -

If you wrote a movie on the DVD RW and want to keep it that way I don't see how you can change it to anything after it has been finalized.

We can look to others for some more input,

How about some more input guys, the ScubaPete's out of his depth -

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Apparently you can change the booktype format of a dvd+rw (but not a dvd+r) after its been burned, but I don't know how.

5. cyclist

cyclist Member

Thanks for dropping in ScubaPete. Yes, I want to change a DVD+RW to a DVD-ROM.

Here's a link to LiteOn's Booktype Utility manual (PDF). http://www.liteonit.com.tw/ODD/Zip/BookTypeManual_e.pdf

It says you can change a DVD+RW's booktype after burning it, but the utility only seems to change the drive setting, not the setting on a disc. I can't make it do anything else.

I was hoping someone here had changed a RW disc's booktype and could tell me how. Obvioulsy, I could simply burn the same data (it's actually a backup data disc) onto another disc, but I figured I might be missing something simple.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2004
  6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I thought as much, it would be better to purchase DVD ROM's for your backups -

To try to make a DVD RW (re-writable) to a ROM (Read Only) media doesn't make sense kind of like an oxymoron - well tomorrow, when many are back from their weekend relaxing perhaps we'll get some more input -

Cheers,

Pete

7. CSimms

CSimms Guest

I am pleased to be able to contribute to this topic that I am very familiar with. First, it is my understanding that not all DVD writers can change booktype settings. But, if it can, I usually use Nero 6.3.1.25 (done it once using DVDInfoPro). The feature can be found under Disc Info in Nero. Select change type setting to DVD-ROM (which I believe will be the default selection). Hit OK/Change (going by memory here) and it will say accessing disk and will take approx. 10-15 seconds to change booktype setting to DVD-ROM. This supposedly can be done before or after the DVD+RW disc is burnt (as opposed to prior to burning on a DVD+R disc? which I have NO experience with). I, myself, have always change the booktype AFTER the discs are burnt. I have been backing-up movies almost exclusively to DVD+RW and changing booktype setting to DVD-ROM. By doing this, the DVD player in my SUV can read the disc [if I don't change the booktype, I get a disc error using DVD+RW discs]. And the DVD+RW discs are also playable on all 3 of my DVD players in the house (with or without change in booktype setting). What's also nice about DVD+RW discs is that after you reformat one in which the booktype setting has been changed to DVD-ROM, the booktype will revert back to DVD+RW. Good luck!

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

And Once again, we aquire more information -

Too bad we can't change a DVD-ROM into a DVD-RW BUT then, we can't have everything (Lol)

Thanks for the input CSimms and welcome to aD -

9. CSimms

CSimms Guest

ScubaPete, it is I who should thank you. It was from your replies where I first learned to backup my movies starting about 1 1/2 months ago. Only after, did I gain experience with booktype setting. Take care!

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I'm glad I could be of some help. even happier that you're back and joining in - it's what it's all about :)

Pete

11. cyclist

cyclist Member

Hey thanks. Unfortunately (for me), I don't see that option in my Nero 6.3.25.1. I've no idea what the problem is, but I suppose it is now time to contact Ahead (Nero) and ask "whot's uh the deal."

Chuck

[Oh, and Pete, using RW discs for data backups is actually the better idea as it saves money. That way I can re-use them. I need to change the booktype, though, to make it so my older DVD-ROM drive is capable of reading them. It would be a drag to have a backup disc and not be able to use it if my Sony drive were on the fritz. I can always change it back to RW when I want to reuse it.]

12. LIGHT_UK

LIGHT_UK Member

You can do it easily with DVD Decrypter 3.5.1.0

Load it
    Go into ISO write mode.
    Ensure the DVD+RW is in the drive.
    Click the little picture of a book 'Change Book Type...' (bottom right of the screen).
    Select the Lite-On tab
    Select 'Current Media (For DVD+RW Media' in the 'Change For' drop down.
    Select 'DVD-ROM' in the 'New Setting' dropdown.
    Click Change.

Wait 10 - 15 seconds.... done :)

13. cyclist

cyclist Member

Mannnnn! What is my problem?

I upgraded DVD Decrypter - followed your instructions, selected Lite-On - Change For: Current media (For DVD+RW Media); New Setting: DVD-ROM, and I get "Failed!"

If I select Change For: Next write, I get "Success!"

I just can't get this to work.

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

cyclist,
    Since your haveing trouble changing the booktype on a previously recorded dvd+rw to dvd-rom, why don't you use nero copy disc and a bitsetting tool and make a copy of your dvd+rw to another dvd+rw setting the format to dvd-rom prior to the burn then if you want you can erase the first disc and use it again. Just a suggestion.

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I'm really not that slow - when you explained that it could be done and I tried it everything became clear. The idea of data backup is only any good if you can update your backups:) BUT for others who may be reading this thread, they will have learned something also - Once again, Thanks -

16. cyclist

cyclist Member

First off, thanks for all the help here.

Now, let me document what I've discovered for anyone who may find value in it.

I upgraded my DRU700A's firmware to a patched VY05 to allow bitsetting (so I could change booktype). However, Nero and DVD Decrypter were not able to change booktype with this firmware (from codeguys - URL in my previous post). So, after seeking advice in the DVD Decrypter forums (http://forum.dvddecrypter.com) I flashed my drive with the 832S firmware and converted it into a LiteOn 832S. That made DVD Decrypter work. I could change the booktype setting of a DVD+RW disc (yeay!). However, my version of Nero, being the Sony OEM version, refused to use the drive that it now considered LiteOn and not Sony. (I was not aware of how limited the OEM version was - and I think this was at the core of my problems.)

I went back to codeguys and found the latest firmware for my Sony DRU700A (VY06) and flashed my drive with that. The VY06 does include bitsetting (changing booktype), so DVD Decrypter *is* able to change the booktype with this firmware in my DRU700A, and once again my OEM version of Nero works with the drive. (I had read somewhere that VY06 does NOT include bitsetting, but that was obviously wrong.)

DVD Shrink also gives me the booktype setting option in Burn options, so all is well there.

The only limitation is that Nero still does not give me the booktype setting in Disk Info. I can deal with that, though, as DVD Decrypter will do it for me.

I'm going to contact Ahead (Nero) and let them know that about this and hopefully they will fix their software.

Thanks for all the help - and happy burning.

(P.S. And after all this hubub, it seems that my older DVD-ROM drive's limitation - LiteOn DVD-ROM LT163 - is NOT the booktype, but simply that it can not read RW discs (as far as I can tell). Ach du lieber.)

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

cyclist,

An excellent post. Descriptive and informative and appreciated.

Pete

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

cyclist,

An excellent post. Descriptive and informative and appreciated.

Pete