1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

change to windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by jboyle, May 27, 2009.

1. jboyle

jboyle Regular member

im using win xp at the moment .im thinking of switching over to windows 7.do you think this would be a good idea?how would i benefit from the switch?thanks

2. elliott

elliott Regular member

I have been using Vista and really really like it as of yesterday Service Pack 2 has arrived I never had any of the issues many have talked about and I install it on all my custom builds since it debuted with out one complaint, with that said I have also tested Windows 7 it is a very featureless operating system basically a stipped down version of Vista. This stripping down makes it a bit faster at boot up but lacks many features that are even in XP SP3. There has been many many discussions on this site regarding the subject here are some links to them the first is a very lengthy discussion on the Merits of Vista and Windows 7 and I posted many many links you can even upgrade to Vista for less at Amazon you can get the disc for under $50 and do a clean install from the upgrade disc I will provide that link at the bottom http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/770725
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/769893
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/769380
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/771326

Personally I would upgrade to Vista as it is now a mature product runs much better than when it first came out has widespread support and there is working software and games for it for the most part many of the issues at its release were caused by manufacturers not updating thier drivers forcing people into buying new peripherals.

Install Vista Cleanly from upgrade disc http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_upgrade_clean.asp

3. jony218

jony218 Guest

I also had windows xp and decided to try out the windows 7 RC on my amd 3000 1gb ram ati 9600 pro video card PC.
    My impressions, I like it better than vista and if you disable the UAC it will run like XP as far as installing programs.
    Almost every program I installed work in Windows 7. It is definitely faster than Vista in almost all areas.
    My recommendation, unless you have a very fast PC, I wouldn't upgrade. On my PC, XP was much faster in opening programs/files etc. Windows 7 had a slight delay and would sometimes hang. Also the windows installation folder is still "vista like" ie Hugh, compared to XP smaller footprint.

As far as benefits, the only one that I notice was the Aero desktop and taskbar thumbnails which where great to look at. Other than that there aren't any really "need to have" tools etc. For the time being I'm sticking with XP I prefer the speed and it does everything that I throw at it.

4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Interesting, I've had XP for year's and an image of Vista to play around with for awhile (only take's a few minute's to restore) and I also ran W7 RC1 for a couple of week's. Using a powerful computer, I found W7 to be the slowest of the bunch with XP faster but Vista to be at least twice as fast as W7 at boot. Watching W7 load up was really annoying and it shut down slower plus isn't it going to start restarting every two hour's or so, to warn you of its shutdown, next April or May. My advice would be to stay with XP if you're happy with it but all program's that work on Vista seem to work on W7 with only one old program that won't run at all on either and a few need to be in compatability mode on Vista, probably W7 too. I do have a problem with my Epson printer with Vista too and probably would on W7. PS: I found Vista and W7 to be much the same with W7 only a smaller version of Vista. I did use VLite to make Vista quite a bit smaller but I did use it on W7 and NLite on XP too (just less to remove on both), didn't remove much anyway plus I did full install's of each also to see the difference (there was none in speed).

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I never went near Vista so can't comment on it, but Windows 7 is what Vista should have been.
    As to speed i find it extremely fast to boot on my C2D E6400 machine (40 seconds from poweron to login prompt) and is very responsive to use.

Stuff i've used under Windows 7 RC1 so far (copy/pasted from elsewhere) ~~

I like XP as much as anyone, am rather attached to it after using it for so many years, however times change and while i'm pleased i didn't waste time (and money building a supercomputer just to run it) with Vista i will replace XP on a computer or two when W7 hits retail or better still when it's had it's first Service Pack or two.

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  6. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Actually, that is one of the thing's that does mystify me. I did build a computer for the move to Vista (4 G RAM, AMD 6400) but went back to XP pretty quickly. There was a noticeable slowdown of XP at boot but Vista run's great. W7 should but doesn't and while it is only a few step's removed from beta, I've mostly heard only good about it. When you pare down Vista's huge installed size to match W7, the two are virtually identical except for start up, other than that, all 3 run great. Personally, I wouldn't switch but, like creaky say's, thing's change and one day, XP will be looked back upon as Window's 2000 is now.

7. jboyle

jboyle Regular member

thanks to everyone for replys.after reading through all your posts ive decided to stick to xp for another while.its never let me down and i love the speed of it and layout :)

8. elliott

elliott Regular member

Progress Progress Progress, Windows XP is the only operating system from Microsoft to have such a long life cycle the move from Windows 3.1, to 95, then 98, 98 Second Edition, Windows ME (oops did I say a bad word)to Windows 2000 then XP were very rapid in less than 5 years total you had new operating systems but Vista or should I say Longhorn was delayed initially by Microsofts move to improve Security & Safety thus XP SP2 which in many ways was like 98 Second Edition not to mention Windows 95 had a versions b,c etc. So to Say Vista was replaced by W7 of course it was it follows the release pattern of Microsoft to continually want us to buy the latest model however I will admit what was once a release date of 2010 was moved to late 2009. That was propelled by the positive response to W7 beta's and since MS is having revnues fall it makes sense to move forward to infuse new purchases cash flow and most of all get thier biggest spenders "corprate clients" to make the move. As someone who has had an enjoyable experience with Vista it's hard for me to disparage the OS, yet I remember how XP was dealt a similar fate until Service Pack 1 was released.

9. jboyle

jboyle Regular member

so you reckon i should switch straight away and not wait untill win 7 brings out a service pack or two??

10. creaky

For me Windows Explorer crashes fairly frequently. It's whenever you open a folder in Details View mode and there's loads of media files, a common bug in XP (bit annoyed this old problem is still happening in Windows 7 to be honest). Unfortunately restarting Explorer doesn't allow Explorer to run again so the only cure is a reboot.

Other than that, i find RC1 to be excellent and would keep using it for good if not for the predicted forced shutdowns due next March.

I've personally always used an OS from it's first release but it's always nice to get a Service Pack or two under your belt, but as i say, other than the Explorer crashes (which i can avoid by staying away from Details view mode) it's very stable indeed.

11. elliott

elliott Regular member

Most people who have a positive experience with Win7 are predicting they will move as soon as it is released and I imagine there will be some updates or mods made just prior to release date to cover some of the error reports MS is getting right now that it is in such a wide beta test. Me myself will be sticking with Vista as the next next release of a Microsoft OS is gonna be in 2012, btw beta's for a new Office 10 have also surfaced by invitation only.

12. jboyle

jboyle Regular member

jesus i dont know what to go for stay with xp for now.go with vista or win 7??i love xp and heard vistas not great.and heard win 7 has teething probs?

13. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Vista really is not as bad as people say (I'm really fussy too), just a little different and a lot (lot) bigger than XP but better looking and almost identical to W7 except for the MS removal of a few thing's. For me, those forced shutdown's of the RC would annoy me half to death not to mention if I was in the middle of something. I believe W7 is due to be released this fall, maybe that's the way to go although I'd bet it won't be cheap otherwise you should be able to pick up a copy of Vista quite reasonably. As I mentioned, Vista run's the best here but that doesn't seem to be the norm. If you're going to move, I'd say go with an established OS now or wait until W7 is but if XP run's the way you want, stay with it for now.

14. elliott

elliott Regular member

I love my Vista and you can do a clean install from the upgrade version which is under $40 on Amazon.com I supplied the link earlier in this thread for how to do it. No matter what W7 is gonna be over $99 for an upgrade and I do know there will be a special way for XP users to upgrade to W7 it won't be the normal type of upgrade. I more or less agree with MistyCat on what you should do its really a personal choice just don't listen to all those peeps who say Vista is bad its just not so and I supplied links for many many sites with a difference of opinion. Here is some info from WikiPedia "Microsoft's primary stated objective with Windows Vista, however, has been to improve the state of security in the Windows operating system.[6] One common criticism of Windows XP and its predecessors has been their commonly exploited security vulnerabilities and overall susceptibility to malware, viruses and buffer overflows. In light of this, Microsoft chairman Bill Gates announced in early 2002 a company-wide "Trustworthy Computing initiative" which aims to incorporate security work into every aspect of software development at the company. Microsoft stated that it prioritized improving the security of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 above finishing Windows Vista, thus delaying its completion.[7]

While these new features and security improvements have garnered positive reviews, Vista has also been the target of much criticism and negative press. Criticism of Windows Vista has targeted its high system requirements, its more restrictive licensing terms, the inclusion of a number of new digital rights management technologies aimed at restricting the copying of protected digital media, lack of compatibility with some pre-Vista hardware and software, and the number of authorization prompts for User Account Control. As a result of these and other issues, Windows Vista had seen initial adoption and satisfaction rates lower than Windows XP.[8] However, as of January 2009, it has been announced that Vista usage had surpassed Microsoft’s pre-launch two-year-out expectations of achieving 200 million users by an estimated 150 million.[9][10][11] As of the end of April 2009, Windows Vista is the second most widely used operating system on the internet with a 23.90% market share, the most widely used being Windows XP with a 62.21% market share.[12]" here is a link to the full wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista

One thing is Vista SP1 improved the overal OS now just released this week SP2 furthers the enhancements and maturity of the OS. The Wikipedia really puts things in perspective you should read it and then make your decision. Had I listened to all the people on this and other message boards I participate in I would still be using XP and I for one am glad I am not its is truly more secure (but nothing is truly secure).

15. creaky

Hehe i never fail to be amused by how some people defend Vista so fiercely, in fact (for example) note how much more fiercely than my simple recommendations of an alternative OS :) :)

(please note the smiley faces)

edited for spelling boo-boo

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  16. jboyle

jboyle Regular member

im staying with xp so.thanks for all the info.think i started a mini war ;) lol.jb

17. elliott

elliott Regular member

Nah no war I love all the mods, addicts and Advisors on Afterdawn if not for them I wouldn't be what is the word a "cool geek" Creaky inlcuded he ain't bad and there are many others from 2oldgeek to ddp some really fine people here.

18. jboyle

jboyle Regular member

well said lots of good folks on ad.my laptop would have been in a skip by now without them ;)