1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change XP SP2 CD-Key?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by axlman, Apr 10, 2006.

1. axlman

axlman Regular member

So it should beable to change the 2003 server key as well?

I just tried running on a 2003 server system and I get an "unexspected error"

Guess I'll have to try to find out why

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Seeing as it's a server title and worth 4x the price of XP....there shouldn't be any real reason to change the key in 2003. It should be a legitimate one.

Keep in mind the last one is still in beta...so the issue you are facing may be fixed in the final release.

3. axlman

axlman Regular member

Oh, It is Legit, no worries here about that! The thing is, is that on the systems that we have to load server on, we have to load it for initial testing before we send it off to our customer. Our customer then Ghosts their image of server onto the system. They Ghost their image because we are all in the Telephony computer business and they have thier image set and loaded with their Telephony software already on it! A legit code key sticker is placed on every system that we sell to them and of course stays on the system when our customer sells it to their customer, but all the systems tend to have the same key installed.

I'll have to see if Microsoft has a way to edit the registry to where maybe it would reset the activation so the Code Key can be changed!

4. axlman

axlman Regular member

Again, Thanks for all your help Morph!

5. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

It may be possible under the terms of agreement that the same key can be used to install 2003 on several machines within a company. That agreement is between them and MS.

Check your PMs.

6. taveren

taveren Member

I hope my question is relevant to the context of this thread...I know how some forums are sensitive to things like that. My apologies in advance if it is not.

Morph, I read what you were saying about trying to use product keys with a different versions of XP. Do you, or anyone, happen to know what version of XP Professional is distributed by the MSDNAA? I have a valid product key but I don't have the installation cd and I would like to do a clean install. I believe it only had SP1a integrated with it. Is that a factor? Can you use a product key acquired with an SP1a installation cd with an SP2 cd of the same version? Thanks.

7. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

No...not really. I would assume that it's a retail version. I believe the keys given to the group have to be activated.

Yes.

8. taveren

taveren Member

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I did a little more research after I posted. I think it's in fact VLK version...which I believe people refer to as corporate edition. Thanks for clarifying the SP1a/SP2 thing.