1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changed Box but.........!!!!

Discussion in 'Android TV boxes (Kodi, XBMC, etc)' started by Melody1, Jul 13, 2016.

1. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Melody does your new box have playstore ? If so then it's just down to kodi addons issue , that can be sorted , I have a two boxes , got alpha in to one box could not get it to the newer box , old box has kit kat firmware , new box has lollypop firmware , both boxes have jarvis , so I'm not sure if it's firmware issue or not , .......

Melody1 likes this.
  2. Melody1

Melody1 Member

Yes my new box has playstore - but how do i solve the Kodi add-ons issue Paulie?

Both boxes have 15.2 Isengard and both have Android 4.4.2.

I have to give the Newer box back to the shop tomorrow morning, so i have to decide quickly this evening!

3. Melody1

Melody1 Member

.......plus how do i install f4mtester please?

does seo-michael show how it's installed in kodi please?

Could that be the problem?? Cause many add-ons use fm4tester now and my New box doesn't have it!

Maybe that will solve the problem!!

4. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

Melody1 likes this.
  5. Melody1

Melody1 Member

Yes! Yes! Yes! That was the whole problem !!

Adrian Sports and DC Sports now work on the 'new' box after i instaleed f4mtester.

Yes!

tongs007 and atghawkin like this.
  6. Melody1

Melody1 Member

'New' Box updates time/date very quickly and has Google Playstore too and what's good too is that misc is still at 300mb.

On the 'old' box misc was already at 1.4GB!

This Misc eats away at the storage!

7. piopat

piopat Active member

you should be able to fix time and date , i think it means a certain setting may be switched off .

8. piopat

piopat Active member

playstore is just an android app , ou can install that . that said its usually pre installed .

misc can be cleared ot atleast vastly reduced easily melody so dont be worried about that .

9. piopat

piopat Active member

yes some addons (especially sports addons ) often require additional addons to be installed in order to work correctly . some times the additional addons install automatically , or you may see a message onscreen telling you that you need to install additional addons . but usually a guide to install an addon will tell you if additional addons are required .

10. Melody1

Melody1 Member

@piopat

Regarding playstore, i was installing it but every time i switched off the box it was gone!!

Regarding Misc - i read that one cannot delete Misc since one risks having add-ons etc which don't work any longer.
    If there's an easy way to clear part of it, then i'd like to learn please pio - thanks.

11. piopat

piopat Active member

i dont know why playstore app would disappear , but what is disappearing it would seem is the playstore icon not the app . is playstore listed in apps in the settings menu ? , open settings or settingsmbox or what ever you have on your box , then go down the list of options to APPS . then press ok and your apps should appear on the right of screen .

now is playstore listed there ? , does it say anything ? like TURNED OFF ? or disabled ? , if it does go to the app , and highlight and press ok to open it . now look and see if there is an option to TURN ON or enable the app . let us know how you get on .

misc is not a file , its an area in your box where multiple files are stored , so as such you cant just go and select misc and delete it because there is no misc file to delete . but you can go into the box and delete files that are in the misc folder .

all your kod addons have pictures / thumbnails etc , and kodi stores them all . even if you have deleted addons the thumbnails from them are still stored in your box . there is also other data in this area but usually its small files , for example if you save movies or tv shows or channels in your favourites , its important to remember that these boxes save a lot of stuff and everything it saves reduces your memory . but you can get rid of a lot of stuff from your box thats not needed and its not hard .

i should say that if your misc memory usage grows so big that it uses up all available free memory that odds are kodi wont function at all , so then you wont be able to access kodi via your box to make changes .

now i used an app called ES file explorer , it allows you to look at files in your box , some files are hidden and some apps wont let you see them , but ES file explorer will . thats the point here that some files are hidden by your box and some of these are the misc files .

but as long as your box is not jammed full and as long as you can access and open kodi you can easily clear some misc memory . before you do anything check the size of your misc memory usage and make a note of it , that way you will see the difference .

simply open kodi , on the main kodi screen go to SETTINGS , then go down to FILE MANAGER . next go to and highlight PROFILE DIRECTORY , then press ok to open it . next scroll down the list of files and go to and highlight THUMBNAILS (dont press ok ) just highlight the file , next with the file highlighted press your menu button or what ever button you usually press to bring up the context menu . now you should see several options and one is DELETE , select that , if you are asked are you sure say yes , just make sure its just the thumbnail file you are deleting .

now what that does is it deletes all thumbnails , when you open kodi and go to videos and then addons all your addons will be there and will work but they won have a picture / thumbnail . dont worry its all in hand . you see to delete individual thumbnails would be very hard so its quicker and easier to delete them all , dont worry your thumbnails will return .

ok now the thumbnail file is gone we will delete another file . so look for the file called DATABASE , go to it , highlight it and press OK to open it . now look for a file called TEXTURES13.DB

the number in the file may be different depending on your box , but as far as i know there is only one texture file in this area . so go to the textures file , highlight it and then press menu button as above and select DELETE .

now you have these two files deleted , dont worry your box will automatically make two new files of the same name . now exit kodi , close kodi . you have to restart kodi for the changes to take effect . but before you open kodi go to SETTINGS and then go down to STORAGE and check misc , it should have gotten far smaller . now as i said there are other smaller files in misc but by far thumbnails is the biggest , so thats the reason we deleted it . doing that deletes all the saved thumbnails including those from addons that you may no longer have installed , it also deletes thumbnails from addons that you have installed . but thats why we also deleted textures , because in doing that a new file is created and all the thumbnails for your installed addons will have returned while all the other junk is gone .

now in addition (if you have playstore sorted) install an app called clean master . that will scan for and find and then delete all temporary unneeded files that will be lurking in your box , and that could clear another bit of your misc memory . i would use clean master maybe every two weeks or 4 weeks depending on how often the box is used . and if your misc memory is getting big again after a while which it will , just repeat the above process .

12. Melody1

Melody1 Member

Thank you Piopat for your very informative and extensive explanation!

I will try to follow your instructions step after step and will tell you what happened.

Much obliged.