1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changed distros

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by uzzo2, Jul 5, 2010.

1. uzzo2

uzzo2 Member

I recently upgraded from Ubuntu 8.04 to Mint 9 and am having trouble with K9copy and K3b. I started a discussion over at the Mint forum board, I was just wondering if anybody here could help, thanks in advance.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=51139

2. budro

budro Regular member

Well, the common thing to note is an I/O error. I'm not particularly well read in media issues, however I believe it is the discs. Try different discs.

If that doesn't work, modify your write settings. Perhaps you're requesting a write speed faster than that which is supported by the disc?

I'm not sure, these are just a few ideas!

Regards

Budro

3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

16.4x looks a little fast.. I never burn above 8x regardless what the media says.. interesting to see the scsi-snd command throw an error.

As you have changed disks it would be worth looking at the drive firmware and also perhaps doing a hard reset of the drive (it seems busy due to error) with hdparm -W /dev/whatever .. at your own risk.. I have to do that before burning with a supposedly scrap philips drive (won't even read a disk on windoze)

Just thought.. check the actual burning is enabled (shouldn't need to make sure scsi emulation is enabled on a modern distro, but you never know)

burning speed, media, firmware, drive status, then scratch head ;)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  4. uzzo2

uzzo2 Member

I actually wound up going back to ubuntu, I am running the latest version now. I haven't tried to burn anything with it yet. But everything else works much better with ubuntu for some reason.

5. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

mint is a bit buggy.. why go back to noobuntu?.. straight debian would suit you better. mint doesn't have a very large userbase, and noobuntu you won't get help with because it's buried under noobs.. debian people would be better to answer your burnin, (we don't bother reading logs people post.. the assumption being.. a full log is posted because the user is too lazy to read and try to understand it themselves.. help comes to those who help themselves).. the log even says "refer to above error carefully" .. which means look it up in the man pages and do a grep | tail straight after the error/fail and see what went on in the system logs, then google that. Theres likely a permissions error somewhere.. cdrecord usually wants to run as root.. possibly a simple error in a config file. Did you try burning from command line as root? .. if that works then you likely need to add your user to a cd or audio or something group, or change the user permissions on the recording tools. (you did install dvdrw-tools?)

It's probably a bug in mint.. it's been fizzling out because of stupid bugs for some time. Last classic was refusing to burn an iso less than 99mb's .. for no reason at all!!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  6. uzzo2

uzzo2 Member

I went back because I am a noob, I don't understand all of that stuff and don't really have the time to try and figure it out. I built this box a couple of years ago now and decided to try the Linux OS out. I like it, but I'm not a computer tekkie, just a knuckle dragging Neanderthal truck driver. Before I built this box, the only experience I had was adding a stick of RAM to my old Dell XP machine.

7. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

Don't worry.. my neighbours 6 year old kid went from winsleep to debian.. and loves it. Try debian (ubuntu is built from it and messed up in many ways from the pure setup) and see what works and doesn't. Chances are you will find it a lot easier, because the debian community actually support each other and work together on strange bugs.

It's better.. it's just unfamiliar, like a european truck compared to an american one.. does the same job, but in a different way with buttons in different places and the fuel goes in the other side.. for example... and some of the plugs and stuff won't fit ;)

ubuntu tries (like windoze) to make all your decisions for you.. which is bad, very bad. It helps to have a little more control of what happens, then when you upgrade or change and something goes wrong you have learned through experience what to do..

I spent 2 days getting a lappy going.. no cd drive.. no network boot.. install on different hardware then fight with it.. all working now but it was a lot of swearing at times and a lot of googling for solutions for odd hardware fixes. Thing with debian.. chances are if you have a problem one of the other 12-15 million (clued up) users has had the same problem, found a fix, and posted it somewhere.. mint has about 2000 users, and ubuntu has 10 million with maybe 10 people who know what they are doing ;)

If ubuntu works slam debian desktop install on.. try testing (wheezy?) as a netinstall.. should work fine.. will probably run every bit of hardware out of the box.. remember to add "desktop system" to tasksel during install.. or you will end up with a console login (what I like) and have to build it all up bit by bit (damn good way to get a beaut sleek and fast setup) which takes a bit of knowhow to get what you want... I have a list.. can do a full scratch install for somebody now in that way in an hour.. then maybe 2 more hours getting some stupid wireless dongle working....

As for the burning with mint.. been researching.. other people have had the same problem but I can't find a definite fix.. you can see why I'm thinking a groups/dependencies permissions problem from this.. http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.user/browse_thread/thread/6ce29353751141be?fwc=1

Which version of Mint is it?.. I have a spare desktop with burners so I could see if it's doing it as the live cd or as the install for you and whatnot.. I love investigating odd things.. it's becoming OCD slowly ;)

Paula xx (ooo.. a linux geek girl)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  8. uzzo2

uzzo2 Member

"and ubuntu has 10 million with maybe 10 people who know what they are doing"
    You can count me as one of the 9,999,990 easily, LOL

"As for the burning with mint.. been researching.. other people have had the same problem but I can't find a definite fix.. you can see why I'm thinking a groups/dependencies permissions problem from this.. http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.user/browse_thread/thread/6ce29353751141be?fwc=1"

I can't remember what it was now, this post is old. I switched back to ubuntu and got it all straightened out. I remember doing something wrong when I switched back and lost everything on that computer. I had to start all over from scratch, what I do like about ubuntu is if I have a problem. I can usually go on the forum board and do some research and find somebody that has had the same problem and just follow what was done with that particular user and get it straightened out myself. When I first installed 8.04 on that machine, I ordered the practical guide to ubuntu linux book. When I got the darn thing, I think it weighed more than the computer. I was excited about it too, I wanted to learn everything there was to know about it. That was a couple of years ago, if I would have gotten started reading it then I probably still wouldn't be finished with it. I think I used it to learn how to network my old Dell XP machine with it so I could share the printer. It worked, but you had to have the Linux machine on to print from the XP machine. I have a different printer now that is networkable, it's plugged into the router so I can print from my XP machine now without having to have the other one on. I actually don't use that Linux machine much, it's a power hog and the seagate HD along with all the fans in it are noisy. We cut it off when we're not using it, my wife uses it and loves it because it's so much faster than this old dell that I'm banging on now. I leave this Dell on all the time, so it's just easier for me to come in from work and wiggle the mouse and check my email. That's usually about all I have time to do most days and maybe read a little news although that's getting so depressing I try not to look at it much any more.

"I love investigating odd things.. it's becoming OCD slowly"

That's funny right there, I wish I was 20 years younger and had more time on my hands. I would probably be right there with ya.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  9. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

lost data.. that's ubuntu for you.. puts everything on one partition and formats it ;) .. I always do a manual partitioning scheme and keep my /home across reinstalls and updates.. haven't lost so much as a bookmark in 5 years XD